Brown Rice Burrito Bowl
This 6-ingredient brown rice burrito bowl is a very simple vegan meal you can put together quickly with just a few simple ingredients. You’ll need romaine lettuce, corn, pinto beans, brown rice, salsa and avocado.
- Pinto Beans. I used canned organic pinto beans in this recipe. Beans such as pinto beans are high in fibre, provide protein, B vitamins, can help reduce blood sugar, improve cholesterol and help maintain a healthy gut. As an alternative to pinto beans, you can use black beans or kidney beans in this recipe.
- Brown Rice. I usually cook a batch of brown rice as part of my weekly meal prep but for this recipe I use quick cooking brown rice so it took just 10 minutes. As an alternative to brown rice, you can use quinoa, farro, freekeh, white rice or wild rice in this recipe. Whole grains such as brown rice are a source of B vitamins, iron, magnesium and selenium.
- Romaine Lettuce. To give this dish plenty of volume and add extra fibre and nutrition, I used shredded romaine lettuce. I like the crunch romaine adds but you could use spinach or another lettuce as an alternative.
- Avocado. Avocado is a must-have. Healthy fats, fibre, vitamins and minerals, plus…it’s avocado.
- Salsa. To keep things simple, use your favourite store-bought salsa to top your burrito bowl.
- Corn. I love the sweetness of corn mixed in with the beans, rice, salsa and avocado. You can use fresh, frozen or canned corn.
This easy dish is healthy, filling, family-friendly, budget-friendly and works well for meal prep. It’s just delicious as is but if you want to add extra burrito bowl favourites, try some:
- diced red onion
- shredded vegan cheese
- vegan sour cream
- diced bell peppers, fresh or try them sautéed with taco spices like paprika cumin and chili powder
- a couple crumbled tortilla chips
- fresh lime
- chimmichurri sauce
- chipotle sauce
- ranch sauce
The only other ingredients I added to mine were some diced red onion and a spritz of fresh lime juice.
How to Meal Prep It
To make this in advance, I’d suggest prepping the individual ingredients and assembling as needed throughout the week.
- cook a batch of brown rice
- open a couple cans of pinto beans, drain, rinse and store (or cook your own)
- get some corn ready to go in a container
- chop up the romaine and store in a container
You can pack up your lunch for the next day no problem, it will keep well assembled for 1-2 days. I just wouldn’t go longer than that as the romaine will get soggy and avocado will brown.
If you’re loving this simple burrito bowl, you might like these too:Print
These 6-ingredient burrito bowls are so easy to make and make a great dinner any night of the week. They’re high in fibre and protein, filling, healthy and delicious.
- 1 avocado (or 1/4–1/2 an avocado per bowl)
- 2 cups cooked brown rice (or about 1/2 cup per bowl)
- 1 19 oz can pinto beans, drained and rinsed (or about 1/2 cup per bowl)
- 2 cups corn (or 1/2 cup per bowl)
- 1 bunch romaine lettuce (or about 2 cups shredded per bowl)
- 1 cup salsa (or about 1/4 cup per bowl)
- Prepare 4 bowls or containers.
- Divide the ingredients between 4 servings.
- Enjoy right away as is or top with fresh cilantro and a squeeze of lime.
Total recipe time does not include cooking brown rice. I used quick cooking brown rice which takes 10 minutes, otherwise you’ll need 45 minutes to cook brown rice.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 362
- Sodium: 291 mg
- Fat: 6 g
- Carbohydrates: 67 g
- Fiber: 15 g
- Protein: 15 g
Keywords: easy vegan burrito bowl, easy burrito bowl