Brown Rice Burrito Bowl
This 6-ingredient brown rice burrito bowl is a very simple vegan meal you can put together quickly with just a few simple ingredients. You’ll need romaine lettuce, corn, pinto beans, brown rice, salsa and avocado.
- Pinto Beans. I used canned organic pinto beans in this recipe. Beans such as pinto beans are high in fibre, provide protein, B vitamins, can help reduce blood sugar, improve cholesterol and help maintain a healthy gut. As an alternative to pinto beans, you can use black beans or kidney beans in this recipe.
- Brown Rice. I usually cook a batch of brown rice as part of my weekly meal prep but for this recipe I use quick cooking brown rice so it took just 10 minutes. As an alternative to brown rice, you can use quinoa, farro, freekeh, white rice or wild rice in this recipe. Whole grains such as brown rice are a source of B vitamins, iron, magnesium and selenium.
- Romaine Lettuce. To give this dish plenty of volume and add extra fibre and nutrition, I used shredded romaine lettuce. I like the crunch romaine adds but you could use spinach or another lettuce as an alternative.
- Avocado. Avocado is a must-have. Healthy fats, fibre, vitamins and minerals, plus…it’s avocado.
- Salsa. To keep things simple, use your favourite store-bought salsa to top your burrito bowl.
- Corn. I love the sweetness of corn mixed in with the beans, rice, salsa and avocado. You can use fresh, frozen or canned corn.
This easy dish is healthy, filling, family-friendly, budget-friendly and works well for meal prep. It’s just delicious as is but if you want to add extra burrito bowl favourites, try some:
- diced red onion
- shredded vegan cheese
- vegan sour cream
- diced bell peppers, fresh or try them sautéed with taco spices like paprika cumin and chili powder
- a couple crumbled tortilla chips
- fresh lime
- chimmichurri sauce
- chipotle sauce
- ranch sauce
- fajita-style mushrooms
- taco tempeh
- taco sweet potato and black bean
The only other ingredients I added to mine were some diced red onion and a spritz of fresh lime juice.
How to Meal Prep It
To make this in advance, I’d suggest prepping the individual ingredients and assembling as needed throughout the week.
- cook a batch of brown rice
- open a couple cans of pinto beans, drain, rinse and store (or cook your own)
- get some corn ready to go in a container
- chop up the romaine and store in a container
You can pack up your lunch for the next day no problem, it will keep well assembled for 1-2 days. I just wouldn’t go longer than that as the romaine will get soggy and avocado will brown.
If you’re loving this simple burrito bowl, you might like these too:
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Tacos
- Tempeh Tacos
- Vegetarian Fajita Bowl
- Black Bean Enchiladas
- Peanut Chickpea Tacos
Brown Rice Burrito Bowl
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 4
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Diet: Vegan
These 6-ingredient burrito bowls are so easy to make and make a great dinner any night of the week. They’re high in fibre and protein, filling, healthy and delicious.
- 1 avocado (or 1/4–1/2 an avocado per bowl)
- 2 cups cooked brown rice (or about 1/2 cup per bowl)
- 1 19 oz can pinto beans, drained and rinsed (or about 1/2 cup per bowl)
- 2 cups corn (or 1/2 cup per bowl)
- 1 bunch romaine lettuce (or about 2 cups shredded per bowl)
- 1 cup salsa (or about 1/4 cup per bowl)
- Prepare 4 bowls or containers.
- Divide the ingredients between 4 servings.
- Enjoy right away as is or top with fresh cilantro and a squeeze of lime.
Total recipe time does not include cooking brown rice. I used quick cooking brown rice which takes 10 minutes, otherwise you’ll need 45 minutes to cook brown rice.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 362
- Sodium: 291 mg
- Fat: 6 g
- Carbohydrates: 67 g
- Fiber: 15 g
- Protein: 15 g
Keywords: easy vegan burrito bowl, easy burrito bowl
I made my own Pico de gallo. I used lime, red onion, jalapeno, Roma tomatoes and sea salt. I just cut up everything and let it marinate overnight in a mason jar. I used it in place of store-bought salsa. I used a organic girl protein greens and grilled corn.
This recipe is delicious and simple.
Simple and tasty 🙂
Easy & Delicious! I have made this burrito bowl several times & it never disappoints. I like to pair the pinto beans with cauliflower rice, homemade salsa, arugula, & mashed avocado! Thank you!
loved this dish made it exactly as written….and it is now part of my own power rotation
Awesome! Thanks, Mike!
I’m trying to help my high cholesterol / high blood pressure EMT husband to eat better while he’s on the ambulance on the go….I bought all the ingredients you listed, and chicken breast to add for him. If I make good, easy on the go lunches like this for him I think it will help him so much, instead of him stopping at the fast food places……hope this works! Thank you for the idea. 😍🚑🥗💪🙏
I hope you both enjoy it and it helps for an easy lunch!
Made this the other night and had the leftovers for lunch today. Both meals were very tasty. Super easy to put together and the BBQ sauce was really good. I substituted baby spinach for lettuce and it was really good under the warm veggie side and rice as it softened a bit from their heat. Thanks.
Have never seen 19 oz cans of beans?
I think they’re more common in Canada, no worries though..it’s about 2 cups worth, or 1/2 cup per bowl, as noted. Enjoy!
I am so glad I found this recipe. We recently eat a vegan bowl from a local restaurant and I wanted to find a similar recipe and I found it! I changed one thing which just added a simple little thing. I sauteed some portobellos and added roasted red peppers! So so good. This recipe is very simple for new vegans as we are.
That’s awesome! Love those additions, they sound delicious. So glad you found this recipe too!