These vegan chickpea flour pancakes might be the quickest and easiest grain-free vegan pancakes ever. You’ll only need 4 simple ingredients to make them: chickpea flour, sea salt, baking soda and your choice of sweetener. They’re grain-free, gluten-free, oil-free, refined sugar-free, egg-free and dairy-free, all thanks to the magical powder of garbanzo bean flour.
What is Chickpea Flour?
Chickpea flour, also know as gram, besan or garbanzo bean flour, is made from ground dried, raw chickpeas.
Chickpea flour is a staple in many different cuisines around the world but has been gaining popularity in North American with the rise of gluten-free cooking and baking. From traditional Italian and French socca, to Indian sweets and crepes, chickpea flour dishes can be found in South Asian, Middle Eastern and Southern European cultures, among others.
Benefits of Chickpea Flour
Chickpea flour is naturally gluten-free, rich in protein, fibre, vitamins and minerals. It also contains iron, potassium, manganese, copper, zinc, phosphorus, magnesium, folate, vitamin B6 and thiamin, so it’s a great way to sneak some extra nutrition in your diet.
Vegan Chickpea Flour Pancakes
These might be the easiest pancakes of all time. They literally take about 60 seconds to prep and about 5 minutes to cook.
All you need to make these is:
…they’re so easy!
They fluff up nicely but have a dense, almost cake-like texture, that makes them very filling.
- To make these sugar-free use about 15 liquid organic stevia drops.
- To make them refined sugar-free, use coconut sugar or pure maple syrup. Start with 1 tbsp, add more to taste.
- This recipe only serves 1 so feel free to double or triple it as needed.
- Use unrefined sea salt for best flavour and nutrition. Do not use table salt.
- Use aluminium-free baking powder, if desired.
- For best results, use a kitchen scale to weigh the chickpea flour. It should be 80 grams.
Vegan Chickpea Flour Pancake Toppings
If you’re wondering what I topped these with it’s blueberries, date caramel sauce, almond butter, coconut flakes and chia seed jam. I love PB & J pancakes so I usually go with jam and almond butter on my pancakes. Here are some other ideas:
- the classic, maple syrup
- date caramel sauce (blend dates with hot water and a pinch of sea salt)
- nut butter caramel sauce (blend dates with a spoonful of almond or cashew butter)
- any nut butter
- tahini and caramel sauce
- sliced banana
- sauted apple and cinnamon
- carmelized banana
- pumpkin puree
- cacao nibs
- coconut flakes
These delicious, cake-like vegan chickpea flour pancakes are completely grain-free, oil-free and can be made sugar-free. They essentially only required 1 ingredient: chickpea flour! These can be made start to finish in about 10 minutes.
- Pre-heat a pan over medium heat.
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Slowly add the water until you have a thick but pourable pancake batter.
- Scoop the batter into a pan (use a little cooking spray) to make 3-4 pancakes. Cook for a few minutes until starting to bubble, flip and cook for another minute or so.
- Add your favourite toppings and enjoy.
Nutritional information is if you make these with stevia. If you use maple syrup or coconut sugar, the carbohydrates and calories will be slightly higher.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 220 calories
- Fat: 4 grams
- Carbohydrates: 36 grams
- Protein: 12 grams