Baked Apple Slices
These cinnamon baked apple slices are easy to make and perfect for a healthy and delicious dessert!
Ooey, gooey, cinnamon-y baked apples? Yess!! These easy baked apple slices are amazing for a simple but decadent dessert and are the perfect way to get your apple pie fix without actually making a pie.
You’ll need just a few minutes to prepare them before popping them in the oven and 30 minutes later, they’re ready to enjoy! Bonus: your whole house smells amazing after making them.
- Dietary Features: Vegan, gluten-free, nut-free, soy-free, can be oil-free.
- Easy to make with just a few everyday ingredients.
- Serve with ice cream or whipped cream for a simple but delicious dessert.
- Perfect for pancakes, crepes, French toast, yogurt, oatmeal and more.
- Super satisfying, comforting and delicious!
Ingredients You’ll Need
Complete list of ingredients with amounts and full instructions is located in the recipe card below. This section covers ingredient and substitution considerations.
- Apples: You’ll need peeled, sliced apples (peeling is optional though). Try firmer apples like granny smith, Fuji, gala, pink lady or honey crisp apples or any combination of these.
- Maple Syrup: Replace with agave syrup, brown sugar or coconut sugar.
- Vegan Butter: You can skip this if you prefer but it makes them extra gooey and decadent and enhances the yummy apple flavour.
- Lemon Juice: Helps balance the sweetness.
- Cornstarch: Thickens the sauce. This can be swapped for arrowroot powder.
- Ground Cinnamon: Try apple pie spice or pumpkin pie spice to switch it up! A pinch of nutmeg is nice too.
How to Make Baked Apple Slices
Preheat the oven to 350 F and set out a baking dish roughly 9 x 7 inches in size. 8 x 8-inch square works tool
Peel, core, quarter and slice the apples into about 1/8-inch slices. Add the rest of the ingredients to a large mixing bowl and whisk until completely combined and any clumps of cornstarch are broken up.
Add the apples and mix well to coat them in the sauce.
Quick Tip: You can save a dish and mix everything directly in the baking dish if you prefer, it’s just a little easier to mix in a mixing bowl.
Transfer the apples to the baking dish and bake for 25-30 minutes, giving them a good stir halfway through.
Bake until they’re golden-brown in colour and tender but not mushy. Give them a good stir then serve right away with your choice of topping.
No, you don’t have to, so it’s up to you!
Peeling is a bit of work but you’ll get a more uniform texture without the peels.
I don’t mind leaving them on, they do add some extra nutrition and since the apple slices are thin, aren’t super noticeable when eating.
Sure. You can leave out the maple syrup if you like.
If I’m making these for a breakfast addition or everyday snack, I usually leave out or reduce the added sugar. If I’m making them for a special dessert, I’ll include the maple syrup.
You can but they have a mushier texture when thawed. To freeze, allow to cool completely then freeze in an airtight container or freeze bag for up to 3 months,
- Drizzle with this easy homemade caramel sauce.
- Enjoy over oatmeal or yogurt with granola.
- Enjoy on pancakes or in crepes.
- Serve with ice cream, whipped cream or your favourite coconut yogurt.
- Enjoy with this French toast casserole or bread pudding.
- Spices: Customize with your choice of allspice, cinnamon, apple pie spice, pumpkin pie spice, nutmeg and ginger. I like to do cinnamon with a pinch of nutmeg.
- Add-Ins: If you’d like to add extra ingredients, raisins, cranberries, walnuts, pecans or slivered almonds work well. Any of these can also be sprinkled on top after baking.
- Fridge: Let cool then store in a sealed container for up to 4 days. You can enjoy them cold or reheated in a pot, the oven or the microwave.
- Freezer: Leftovers can be frozen but the texture becomes more mushy after thawing. If you’d like to freeze them, let cool completely then store in a freezer bag or sealed container for up to 3 months.
Did you try this recipe? I’d love to hear about it! Click here to leave a review.Print
- Prepare: Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C) degrees and set out an approximately 9 x 7 or 8 x 8-inch baking dish.
- Slice Apples: Peel (optional to peel), core, quarter and slices the apples into 1/8-inch slices.
- Mix: Add the rest of the ingredients to a large mixing bowl and stir to combine into a smooth mixture. Add the sliced apples and mix well to coat.
- Bake: Transfer the mixture to the baking dish and bake for 25-30 minutes, stirring halfway through, until the apples are tender (but not mushy), bubbly and golden-brown.
- Serve: Stir to coat in the sauce then serve hot with non-dairy whipped cream or ice cream.
You can mix everything directly in the baking dish and save a bowl, if you prefer. It’s just a little easier to mix it in a large mixing bowl.
Maple syrup can be swapped with agave syrup, brown sugar or coconut sugar.
Recipe serves 4 if you’re serving as a main dessert with ice cream etc. It can serve 8 for a topping or filling.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 165
- Sugar: 24 g
- Sodium: 58 mg
- Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 36 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 1 g
Keywords: baked apple slices, cinnamon baked apples