Vegan Caramel Sauce
Make this creamy, decadent vegan caramel sauce in minutes with just a few simple ingredients!
You’ll need just 5 ingredients to make this caramel. It’s made by heating sugar, coconut cream and almond butter until you have the perfect rich, gooey, sweet and sticky sauce. It’s easy, versatile and so delicious!
If you’re looking for the perfect topping for pancakes, crepes, brownies, lattes, ice cream, dipping fruit or any other use you can think of, this is it!
- Dietary Features: Vegan (dairy-free & egg-free), gluten-free, nut-free (contains coconut).
- Thick, creamy, rich and perfectly sweet and caramel-y!
- Ready in under 10 minutes.
- No butter, heavy cream or candy thermometer needed.
- Perfect for the holiday season. Stash in the fridge to take all holiday desserts to the next level.
- Sugar: I like this recipe best with coconut sugar. Coconut sugar has a natural caramel flavour and the perfect colour for making vegan caramel. You can also use cane sugar, date sugar or brown sugar.
- Coconut Cream: I like to use store-bought coconut cream for this recipe but if you can’t find any, you can make your own using can of full-fat coconut milk.
- Almond Butter: This can be swapped for tahini for a nut-free recipe. Peanut butter and cashew butter also work well.
- Salt & Vanilla: Both optional but they really enhance the flavour, so I’d suggest using them.
How to Make It
Add all of the ingredients to a medium saucepan on the stovetop and heat over medium-low heat.
Bring the mixture to a light simmer and cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until the everything is full combined and the caramel is golden in colour and starting to thicken.
Note: The caramel will be on the thinner side at this point but will thicken considerable after storing in the fridge. If you’d like thicker caramel right away, stir in 1 tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot powder.
There are so many delicious ways to use this amazing caramel sauce! Try it with:
- your favourite non-dairy vanilla ice cream
- homemade banana ice cream
- monkey bread
- vegan bread pudding
- any pancake recipe, like these carrot cake pancakes or pumpkin pancakes
- a homemade caramel latte
- over brownies (with ice cream too, omg!)
- baked stuffed apples
- oatmeal or baked oatmeal bars
- no-bake cheesecake
- sliced apples or strawberries
- pecan pie bars
Did you try this recipe? I’d love to hear about it! Scroll down to the comment section to leave a star rating and review.
An easy, 5-minute caramel sauce that calls for just 5 simple ingredients. This amazing caramel is perfect for ice cream, pancakes, brownies, coffee and more!
- Add everything to a small saucepan on the stovetop and start heating over medium heat.
- Bring to a light simmer and cook for 5 minutes, constantly stirring until it’s fully combined, bubbly and golden. Be careful to overheat and burn the caramel.
- Transfer to a storage container and wash the pot right away.
- The caramel can be used immediately or stored. It will thicken considerably after it chills in the fridge.
Canned coconut cream is suggested for this recipe. Shake well before use. If you can’t find canned coconut cream. Place 2 14 oz cans of full-fat coconut milk in the fridge overnight. When you’re ready to make the recipe, scoop the thick cream from the can, leaving the coconut water behind. You can use the coconut water in soups, smoothies, oatmeal, etc. Each can should produced 1/2 cup of coconut cream.
Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days in the fridge. The sauce will thicken considerably when cooled. Enjoy as is or if you like, thin by reheating in the microwave or placing the jar in a pan of hot water until warmed through.
The caramel sauce can be frozen in a freezer-safe container or in an ice cube tray before transferring the cubes to a freezer bag or container. Thaw at room temperature or in the fridge.
Salt can be increased to 3/4 tsp for salted caramel.
- Serving Size: 1 tbsp
- Calories: 97
- Sugar: 12 g
- Sodium: 13 mg
- Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 13 g
- Fiber: 0.3 g
- Protein: 1 g
Keywords: vegan caramel sauce, dairy-free caramel