I’ve been trying to figure out a recipe for whole wheat fluffy vegan pancakes for a while now and finally I found some serious pancake success! YES! I’ve never been much of a pancake fan but lately I’ve been loving a plate of them on Sunday mornings. They’re just so comforting, aren’t they? My favourite part is probably the toppings though, the pancakes are really just a way to transport toppings from the plate to my belly.
Whole Wheat Fluffy Vegan Pancakes
This recipe only takes a few minutes to whip up with simple, everyday ingredients and is super easy to make. Not to mention they’re incredibly filling and today they kept me going all through my Sunday morning errands. These might be the easiest, yummiest fluffy vegan pancakes around and they are now my go-to recipe.
- so easy and ready in minutes
- minimal ingredients
- incredibly fluffy
- double or triple for a family sized batch
- customize by adding fruit or chocolate chips
- no refined sugar
- add your favourite healthy toppings
Pancake Topping Ideas
The pancake toppings are the best part of this whole pancake business aren’t they? Besides the fluffy, doughy pillows they sit on, I guess. I topped these fluffy vegan pancakes with a generous serving of thawed, frozen blueberries that I heated up stovetop, a sprinkle of shredded coconut and a drizzle of melted peanut butter.
Here are some more pancake topping ideas:
- toasted coconut flakes
- homemade chocolate sauce: mix together a small amount of coconut oil, cocoa powder and sweetener of choice such as pure maple syrup
- date caramel sauce: soak dates in hot water for 15 minutes then drain and blend with some light coconut milk, vanilla and sea salt
- chopped nuts
- apples and cinnamon: sauté sliced apples with cinnamon in a little coconut oil until soft and tender
- pure maple syrup
- fresh or caramelized bananas: sauté sliced bananas in coconut oil until they caramelize
- sweet tahini sauce: mix tahini with some pure maple syrup
- coconut butter or nectar
- dairy-free chocolate chips – or bake these right into the pancakes!
Now the big question, what are you favourite pancake toppings?? Leave your topping ideas in the comment section below!Print
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (all-purpose flour works too)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (substitute water or other plant-based milk of choice)
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup (or sweetener of choice, I sometimes use stevia)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional, adds flavour)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract (optional, adds flavour)
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, sea salt and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Add the unsweetened almond milk and maple syrup and stir until “just mixed.”
- Let the batter sit for 5-10 minutes. (Optional, but I found they come out fluffier this way.) Let the pan heat up while you wait.
- Cook in 1/4-1/2 cup portions in a lightly oiled non-stick pan over medium-high heat.
- Once there are a few bubbles in the middle, flip and cook for a few more minutes on the other side.
- Serve and enjoy!
- This recipe is pretty easy to eye-ball. I make it all the time with a big scoop of flour, a spoonful of baking powder, pinch of salt, stevia and enough water to form a thick batter. It makes amazing, perfect, super light fluffy vegan pancakes every time!
- For best results, make sure you active baking powder. If you’re unsure if your baking powder is still good, you can test it by by mixing 1 teaspoon of baking powder with 1/3 cup hot water. If the baking powder is fresh, the mixture should produce lots of bubbles.
Check out my other pancake recipes!
- Fluffy Protein Pancakes – Only 4 ingredients
- Coconut Blueberry Vegan Pancakes – Easy, fluffy, delicious coconut berry flavour
- Chia Seed Pancakes – A reader favourite
- Vegan Berry Banana Pancakes – For banana and berry lovers! Easy and so yummy
If you guys enjoy this recipe, please be sure to share it via your favourite social media network below and tag me @runningonrealfood!