Mediterranean Quinoa Bowls
These healthy vegan Mediterranean quinoa bowls with tangy tofu feta are full of flavour, high in protein and easy to make with whole food ingredients.
- dietary needs – gluten-free, vegan, no added sugar, nut-free
- meal prep-friendly – make the components or assemble the bowls in advance for a healthy meal ready to go
What You’ll Need
- tofu – firm or extra-firm tofu for making the feta
- kale – any variety works
- olives – any kind works but I like kalamata best
- hummus – store-bought or homemade are both great or use this lemon tahini sauce instead of or in addition to the hummus
- veggies – I used cucumber, tomato and red onion but easily customizable with other veggies like zucchini or bell pepper
Step by Step Instructions
Step 1. Make the tofu feta. If you can do this the day before, even better!
- press the tofu for at least 20 minutes (technically optional but it will help the tofu absorb more flavour)
- cube or crumble the tofu
- mix with the marinade for a minimum of 30 minutes up to overnight or longer
Quick Tip: If you want to add quick pickled red onions, make those now as well. They’ll need about 30 minutes to sit.
Step 2. Cook the quinoa. Cook the quinoa according to package instructions or bring 2 cups of water to a boil stovetop, add the quinoa, cover and reduce to a light simmer. Cook for 15 minutes, remove from heat and let it sit for 5 minutes then fluff with a fork and it’s ready to go.
Step 3. Massage the kale and chop the veggies.
- Remove the kale leaves from the tough, thick stems and finely chop the leaves into bite-sized pieces. Place in a mixing bowl and add 1 tsp olive oil. Use your hands to massage for 1-2 minutes until softened.
- Chop up the tomato, cucumber and parsley.
Assemble the bowls, top with parsley, tahini and lemon and enjoy!
Notes and Tips
- Prep in Advance: Make the tofu and quinoa up to 4 days in advance. Chop the kale and cucumber up to 2 days in advance. Store ingredients in the fridge. Assemble as needed, adding the rest of the ingredients fresh.
- Storage: Assembled bowls can be stored in the fridge for up to 2 days (probably up to 4 but the veggies will get kinda sogggy and gross). Best enjoyed fresh or the next day!
- Quinoa: Sub with rice or farro.
- Additions: Try homemade roasted red peppers!
- Grain-Free Option: Omit quinoa or replace with cauliflower rice, roasted cauliflower or mashed chickpea tabouli.
- Mediterranean Farro Salad Bowls
- Tofu Kale Salad with Coconut Peanut Sauce
- Sriracha Baked Tofu Rice Bowls
- Cauliflower Quinoa Tabouli Bowls
- Broccoli Brown Rice Bowl
Did you make this recipe? Click here to leave a review!Print
For the Tofu Feta
- 1 350 g package extra-firm or firm tofu, pressed and cubed
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast, optional
For the Bowls (makes 4)
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 4 cups finely chopped kale
- 1/2 tsp olive oil for massaging kale
- 40 kalmata olives
- 2 cups diced cucumber
- 2 cups diced tomato
- 1 cup quick pickled red onion or thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 4–8 tbsp of tahini or lemon tahini sauce
- fresh lemon
- 8 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
- salt and pepper, to taste
- If you want to make the quick pickled red onions, start those now as they need to sit 30 minutes as well.
- To make the tofu feta, first press the tofu for at least 20 minutes, then crumble or cube the tofu. Add all ingredients to a container and marinate for at least 30 minutes up to overnight. If you have an hour or two to marinate, that’s perfect.
- Cook the quinoa according to package instructions, or bring 2 cups of water to a boil, add 1 cup of uncooked rinsed quinoa, cover and reduce to a very light simmer. Cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Remove the lid and lfuff with a fork.
- Remove the kale leaves from the tough stems and finely chop. Place in a mixing bowl and add 1/2 tsp of olive oil. Massage with hands for 30 seconds or longer until softened. If you prefer, you can leave kale raw or steam for 1 minute to lightly cook.
- Dice the cucumber and tomato and finely chop the parsley.
- Assemble the bowls by preparing 4 bows or food storage containers, start with a bed of kale in each, then add the quinoa, tofu feta, olives, cucumber, tomato and hummus.
- Top each serving with tahini or lemon tahini sauce, parsley, lemon juice, salt and pepper and serve right away.
Find full instructions on how to make pickled red onions here.
Details on how to press tofu can be found here. Pressing is optional but it will help the tofu absorb more flavour.
Quinoa, red onions and tofu can be made up to 4 days in advance. Veggies can be chopped up to 2 days in advance. Assembled bowls can be stored in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Keywords: quinoa salad bowl, mediterranean quinoa bowl
Update Note: Originally published on October 27, 2017. Updated with new photos and text on August 25, 2020.