Mediterranean Quinoa Bowls with Tofu Feta
If you love Mediterranean ingredients like cucumber, kalamata olives, lemon, hummus and feta, you’re going to love them in these healthy and delicious, vegan Mediterranean quinoa bowls with tofu feta. This bowl is gluten-free, oil-free, sugar-free and high in plant-based protein thanks to the hummus, quinoa and tofu. Plus if you prep the ingredients ahead of time, this cozy, flavourful bowl comes together in just a couple minutes.
How to Make Tofu Feta
There are a few different ways you can make feta alternatives. Cashews, almonds and tofu all work well. For this recipe, I wanted chunks of “feta” so I went with extra-firm tofu to add the tangy flavour that feta would have.
I don’t normally press tofu and it’s not totally necessary for this recipe however, pressing the excess water out first will allow the tofu to absorb more of the feta marinade.
To make tofu feta, you’ll press the tofu, then cube it and marinate it. That’s it. If you prefer more of a crumbled feta texture, you can also use crumbled tofu instead of cubed. I like cubed tofu chunks for this recipe.
How to Press Tofu
Pressing tofu is easy. Simply wrap a block of tofu in a dish cloth and place something heavy on top of it, I use a couple of cookbooks. Let it sit for about 30 minutes or so and then use as normal.
Find full details on how to press tofu here.
Tofu Feta Marinade
If you’re in a pinch, you could just mix to tofu with the marinade and be done however I’d highly recommend marinating the tofu for two hours, up to overnight. This gives the tofu time to really absorb all those salty, briny, feta-inspired flavours.
Customize Your Bowls
The great thing about these bowls if you can use my suggestions to customize them to fit your preferences and whatever you have on hand. The must-have ingredients for me are the kalamata olives, tofu feta, lemon and hummus, however, even those can be swapped out or adjusted to suit your needs.
- swap out the quinoa for any other whole grain
- go grain-free and use cauliflower or broccoli rice in place of quinoa
- no hummus, no problem, use this lemon tahini dressing
- use any diced veggies such as bell peppers or zucchini in place of the cucumber and tomato
- no kalamata on hand, use black olives or any other olive of choice
- no hummus or tahini, try it with this balsamic vinaigrette
- try it with homemade roasted red peppers here.
- if you don’t want to make the pickled red onion, regular red onion works too
So many options!
This quinoa bowl is kinda like greek salad and is made with many of the same ingredients, such as cucumber, tomato and olives. I wanted to keep the basic recipe fairly easy and simple so aside from cooking the quinoa, there isn’t much involved in making this. You can use store-bought or homemade hummus or just use plain tahini or tahini lemon sauce.
Once you’ve cooked the quinoa, and marinated the tofu, it’s just a matter of putting it all together. This bowl is flavourful, healthy, satisfying and with those tangy bites of tofu and the hummus mixed in, you guys are gonna love this one.
This recipe is highly nutritious, vegan, gluten-free, sugar-free and high in fibre and plant-based protein. The protein comes from the tofu, hummus and quinoa. You can reduce the carbs by using cauliflower rice instead of quinoa, or just use less quinoa than I did.
The nutritional information will depend on how you make yours but it comes out to approximately 520 calories with 65 grams of carbs, 19 grams of fat and 26 grams of protein if you build your bowl according to the recipe.Print
For the Tofu Feta
- 1 package organic extra-firm or firm tofu, pressed and cubed
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast
For Each Bowl
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- a couple handfuls of kale, de-stemmed and finely chopped, massaged with a spritz of lemon juice and tiny bit of olive oil
- 8–10 kalamata olives
- 2 tbsp of hummus
- 1/2 cup diced cucumber
- 1/2 cup diced tomato
- 1/2 pickled red onion, see notes (sub regular red onion, diced)
- 1/4 of the tofu feta
- a few tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp tahini
- lots of fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- To make the tofu feta, all all ingredients to a container and marinate for 2 hours up to overnight.
- Finely chop the kale and massage with a little olive oil and lemon, let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- To build the bowls, add all ingredients to a bowl, top with parsley, hummus, extra tahini, lemon, salt and pepper and dig in.
Keywords: quinoa salad bowl, quinoa bowl
More Healthy Bowl Recipes
Loving this quinoa bowl? Check these out too: