Mashed Chickpea Tabouleh Salad
Ready in about 10 minutes, this vegan mashed chickpea tabouleh salad makes the perfect quick and easy meal. Mash up the chickpeas, chop a few veggies, mix with tahini and lemon and you’re all set for a healthy plant-based meal.
Why Make this Recipe
- quick and easy – this recipe is ready in just 10 minutes!
- allergy-friendly – can’t do grains, gluten, nuts or dairy, this is the salad for you!
- high in protein and fiber – chickpeas, hemp seeds and tahini add protein and fiber, making it a balanced meal
- versatile – enjoy on its own or add to pitas and buddha bowls
What You’ll Need
- Chickpeas. Use 1 15 oz can of chickpeas, which is about 1.5 cups. You can use a bit more or less, this recipe doesn’t have to be exact!
- Hemp seeds. Look for raw hemp seeds, sometimes called hemp hearts. They’re available in well-stocked grocery stores, health foods stores or online and are super nutritious!
- Veggies. You’ll need fresh tomato, red bell pepper and red onion.
- Herbs. You’ll need fresh parsley and garlic. Mint makes a nice addition too!
- Lemon. Fresh lemon is best but lemon concentrate will do in a pinch.
- Tahini. Tahini is a delicious paste made from sesame seeds. It’s readily available in grocery stores or can be found in Middle Eastern or Mediterranean specialty stores, or online.
Step by Step Instructions
Step 1. Mash the chickpeas and mix with the hemp seeds. You can do this in a bowl using a fork, potato masher or immersion blender or pulsing them in a food processor for a few seconds. Mix the hemp seeds into the mashed chickpeas.
Step 2. Chop and add the veggies. You’ll need bell pepper, red onion, parsley, tomato and garlic. Chop them all up, add them to the chickpeas and hemp seeds and mix it all up.
Step 3. Add the lemon and tahini. Finally, mix in the tahini and lemon then season to taste with salt and pepper. Mix it all up and enjoy!
Loving this chickpea salad? Here are some more healthy salads to enjoy:
- Chickpea Shawarma Salad
- BBQ Chickpea Salad
- Thai Chopped Salad with Tofu
- Lentil Kale Salad with Broccoli
- Mediterranean Orzo Salad
This recipe can also be used in my cauliflower quinoa tabouleh bowls instead of the quinoa salad.
Did you make this recipe? Click here to leave a review!Print
- 1.5 cups cooked chickpeas (approx. 1 15 oz can)
- 2/3 cup hemp seeds
- 1 large or 2 small diced tomatoes (approx. 1 cup)
- 1/2 diced red onion (approx. 1 cup)
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup finely chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- sea salt to taste
- Place the chickpeas in a large bowl and use a masher or fork to mash into small pieces. Alternatively, make quick work of it and pulse them a few times in a food processor or blender.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl and mix well.
Keywords: grain-free, gluten-free, oil-free, spring, light, easy, quick
This post was originally published on September 16, 2016. It was updated February 2020 with new photos and text.