Vegan Lentil Kale Salad with Roasted Broccoli
This vegan lentil kale salad with roasted broccoli is made with just a handful of simple, wholesome ingredients. Enjoy this warm salad when you want something easy to make but still nourishing and healthy. This recipe is naturally gluten-free.
Why Massage Kale?
Raw kale can be a bit tough, bitter and hard to digest on its own. By massaging it with olive or avocado oil, it starts to soften and wilt and has a more pleasant taste. If you prefer, you can skip the oil and very lightly steam the kale before using in the salad. I like to massage it though and the healthy fats can help with absorption of the fat-soluble vitamins in the kale, broccoli and lentils.
How to Cook Lentils
I would recommend using French, green or black/beluga lentils in this recipe. These types of lentils are firmer than red lentils once cooked so they’re suitable for use in salads. Whether you use black or green lentils, they have very similar cooking times and are very easy to cook. To cook them, add 1 cup of dry lentils to a medium to large-sized sauce pan with 2 1/4 cups water, bring to a boil, then cover and simmer until tender. This should take 20-25 minutes. Make sure you use a big enough pot since the lentils will double in size once cooked.
Simple Tahini Dressing
You guys know I love my tahini dressing around here so we’re using it yet again for this beautiful, warm salad. This one is no different than most of my variations. I used lemon, tahini, garlic powder, salt and pepper and water. Sometimes I add a bit of maple syrup to balance out the acidity from the lemon. If you like a hint of sweetness to your tahini dressing, you can add a touch of maple syrup or stevia.
Recipe Health Benefits
This recipe is loaded with health benefits. From the kale to the lentils, every ingredient provides a host of nutritional benefits.
- The lentils add protein, hearty-healthy and cholesterol-lowering dietary fibre and plenty of micronutrients such as copper, phosphorus and manganese, iron and B vitamins.
- The broccoli and kale are both cruciferous veggies, rich in cancer-fighting antioxidants, phytochemicals and other vitamins and minerals. These two foods are some of the most nutritionally-dense foods available. Eat them often, if not daily.
- Tahini, made from sesame paste is a good source of calcium, iron and healthy fats.
- Overall the recipe is high in fibre, naturally gluten-free, sugar-free, vegan, a good source of healthy fats and high in plant-based protein.
Vegan Lentil Kale Salad Recipe
This simple salad is a breeze to make, all you’ll need is:
- Kale. Kale makes up the base of the recipe and gets a good rub down with extra virgin olive oil to help soften it, make it less bitter and improve its digestibility. A little squeeze of lemon and some salt and pepper are welcome here too
- Broccoli. Mmm, who doesn’t love crispy but tender roasted broccoli. I also added some garlic and sea salt because they make everything better, don’t you think?
- Lentils. I’d recommend French lentils if you can find them. If not, black (beluga) lentils or green lentils will work too.
- Tahini Dressing. Okay, this is more than just one ingredient but it’s made with everyday staples so I’m counting it as one. You’ll need lemon, water, garlic, salt and pepper to make. Option to add some sweetener such as pure maple syrup or stevia.
More Healthy Salad Recipes
Loving this lentil kale combo? You might like these too:
- Carrot Beet Kale Salad with Roasted Potatoes
- Vegan Kale Caesar Salad with Roasted Chickpeas
- Vegan BBQ Chickpea Salad
- Vegan Chickpea Salad with Lemon Tahini Sauce
- Roasted Vegetable Lentil Salad
For the Salad
- 6 cups de-stemmed and finely chopped kale (approx. 1.5 cups per salad)
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 6 cups chopped broccoli (approx. 1.5 cups per salad)
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup dry French, green or black lentils (approx. 1/2 cup cooked per serving)
For the Tahini Dressing
- Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Add the lentils to a medium-sized saucepan with 2.25 cups water. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to a light simmer. Cook for 20-25 minutes until tender. Drain off any excess water if needed.
- Place the chopped broccoli on a roasting pan and drizzle with 1 tbsp of olive oil or avocado oil. Sprinkle with sea salt. Use your hands to mix, making sure each piece is coated. Roast in the oven for 20-25 minutes until tender and starting to brown.
- Place the chopped kale in a bowl and add the other 1 tbsp of olive oil or avocado oil. Use your hands to massage for a few minutes until it’s wilted, dark green and soft.
- To make the tahini sauce, add all the ingredients to a bowl or container and whisk until smooth and creamy.
- To assemble the salad, divide the ingredients between 4 bowls or containers, top with the tahini sauce, a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and a sprinkle of sea salt and black pepper and serve right away or store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Keywords: lentil kale salad, healthy, simple, easy, plant-based