Vegan BBQ Chickpea Salad
This vegan BBQ chickpea salad is the perfect meal for when you want something quick and easy that still delivers on flavour and nutrition. This healthy bowl is made with BBQ chickpeas, lettuce, red onion, green onion, corn, carrot and avocado.
BBQ Chickpea Salad Ingredients
To make this simple vegan meal, you’ll need:
- BBQ Sauce. I used a store-bought vegan BBQ sauce to make this recipe but if you prefer homemade, you can try my vegan BBQ sauce recipe. If you’re vegan, have a look at store-bought ingredients lists though as some sauces contain ingredients such as anchovies.
- Chickpeas. I used canned chickpeas for this recipe. You’ll need about 1/2 cup per bowl but you can use more or less depending on your nutritional needs.
- Corn. I love sweet bites of corn paired with ingredients like BBQ sauce and tangy red onion. You can use canned, fresh or frozen corn for this recipe and will need about 1/2 cup per bowl.
- Other veggies. I used diced red onion, grated carrot, chopped green onion and a base of lettuce. You could also use spinach or kale for the greens. If you’re missing anything, that’s ok, just use what you have, it won’t make or break the recipe. For extra veggies try chopped tomato and cucumber.
- Avocado. I love avocado with BBQ flavours. You’ll need 1/4 to 1/2 of an avocado per bowl. If you’re meal prepping this recipe, I’d suggest leaving the avocado off until you plan to eat the salad so it doesn’t go brown.
- Cilantro. I’m a big cilantro fan and love it in Mexican, BBQ and Asian-inspired dishes. I used a big handful of fresh cilantro per salad but if you don’t like cilantro, just leave it off.
- Tahini Ranch Dressing. I found the salad to be a bit dry with just the BBQ chickpeas so I made a simple tahini ranch dressing from tahini, lemon, sea salt and dried herbs. The tahini can be substituted with tofu or raw cashews if you prefer, or try my tofu ranch dressing recipe. The salad is still good without the ranch dressing, if you don’t feel like making it.
Quick BBQ Chickpea Salad
This salad is ideal for a quick and easy dinner. It takes less than 15 minutes to make, even faster if you’re a speedy veggie chopper. All you need to do to make it is:
- heat cooked chickpeas in a good non-stick pan with your favorite BBQ sauce
- chop some veggies and add them to a bowl
- top with the hot BBQ chickpeas and enjoy
I like making these BBQ chickpeas for adding to add kinds of buddha bowls, breakfast bowls and more so if you have any leftovers, feel free to store them in the fridge and trying them in other dishes.
This recipe is easily customizable and there’s really no need to be exact with the measurements. You can use more or less than any of the ingredients to suit your nutritional needs and taste preference. Try any of the following substitutions to switch things up:
- buffalo chickpeas instead of BBQ
- buffalo cauliflower instead of chickpeas
- baked BBQ tofu instead of chickpeas
- use any combo of these salad ingredients: lettuce, tomato, red onion, green onion, carrot, corn, avocado, cilantro, cucumber
- add pineapple tidbits
More Simple Vegan Meals
Check these out for some more quick, easy and healthy dinner options:
..or find an awesome collection of 28 healthy vegan salads here.Print
For the BBQ Chickpeas
- 2 15 oz. cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed (3 cups, 495 g)
- 1/2 cup bbq sauce (120 mL)
For the Salad
- lettuce (2 big handfuls per salad)
- corn (approx. 1/4-1/2 cup per salad)
- grated carrot (approx. 1/2 a carrot per salad)
- diced red onion (a few tbsp per salad)
- chopped green onion (a few tbsp per salad)
- chopped fresh cilantro (approx. 1/2 cup very lightly packed per salad)
- avocado (approx. 1/4-1/2 a diced avocado per salad)
For the Tahini Ranch Dressing
- To make the BBQ chickpeas, add the chickpeas and BBQ sauce to a medium-sized pan and cook over medium heat until the BBQ sauce is starting to get sticky and gooey, about 8-10 minutes. Stir every 1-2 minutes as they cook.
- To make the tahini ranch dressing, whisk all the dressing ingredients together in a container until smooth and creamy.
- To assemble the salad, prepare 4 bowls or plates, or containers if you’re prepping for later. Add a big handful of lettuce to each then top with the rest of the salad ingredients. Top each salad with equal portions of the BBQ chickpeas and tahini ranch dressing. If prepping for later, store the tahini ranch sauce separately until just before eating.
Any leftover tahini ranch dressing can be stored up to 5 days in the fridge, just give it a good shake before using. The salad can be stored up to 2 days in the fridge if assembled. Any extra BBQ chickpeas can be stored up to 5 days and added to other dishes.
The bbq chickpeas make enough for 3/4 cup portions for 4 salads. Feel free to make more or less depending on your needs. I use 2 tbsp bbq sauce for every 1/2 cup of chickpeas. You can use a little more if you want them a bit saucier. The tahini sauce makes enough for 4-6 salads.
Keywords: easy, quick, bowl, healthy, vegetarian, simple, plant-based