Buffalo Chickpea Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
These buffalo chickpea stuffed sweet potatoes are the perfect combination of sweet, tangy and spicy. This recipe is vegan, gluten-free and easy to make with everyday ingredients.
Vegan Ranch Dressing
These stuffed sweet potatoes are topped off with avocado, green onion and a tangy, vegan ranch dressing. I know some of you are either soy-free or nut-free so I’ve provided two options to make the vegan ranch: it can be made with raw cashews or soft tofu, both with delicious results.
Whether you use nuts or tofu, the rest of the dressing ingredients are the same:
- apple cider vinegar
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- sea salt
I kept it simple but you can also fold in some chopped dill, chives or parsley to add another layer of ranch flavour. A spoonful of nutritional yeast also works for a bit of extra flavour. For another option, try my tahini ranch dressing.
How to Make Buffalo Chickpeas
To make addictively delicious buffalo chickpeas:
- toss a rinsed and drained can of chickpeas with buffalo sauce, a bit of oil, garlic powder and sea salt
- cook ’em up in a pan until the sauce is thickened, mashing some of the chickpeas as you cook them for added texture
- mix in more buffalo sauce and enjoy
The chickpeas are perfect for topping baked sweet potatoes but you can also use them in my spicy chickpea wraps, salads and soups.
They can also be mashed with some diced celery and red onion to make a spicy egg salad-inspired sandwich. Or just eat them on their own because they’re seriously addictive and delicious!
Not into buffalo sauce? Try this recipe with BBQ chickpeas instead.
Buffalo Chickpea Stuffed Sweet Potatoes Recipe
These are easy to make and even easier if you make the baked sweet potatoes, chickpeas and dressing in advance.
Once it’s all made, it’s just a matter of throwing it all in your baked sweet potato and digging in. I added avocado for some cool, creamy texture and green onion for a little crunch and extra pop of flavour.
This recipe is easily customizable. Here are a few extras and variations you can try:
- add diced peppers
- add diced red onions
- add steamed broccoli
- try buffalo cauliflower instead of buffalo chickpeas
- try BBQ chickpeas instead of buffalo chickpeas
- add fresh cilantro or parsley
- add grated carrot
- add fresh or sautéed spinach or kale
More Recipes to Try
Loving these stuffed sweet potatoes? Here are some more recipes you might like:
- Vegan Buffalo Cauliflower Wraps
- Buffalo Cauliflower Kale Salad
- Guacamole Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Vegan Sweet Potato Tofu Bowls
- Sweet Potato Breakfast Bowls
For the Buffalo Chickpeas
- 1 19 oz can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained (or approx. 2 cups or 360 grams cooked chickpeas)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp buffalo sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- pinch of black pepper
For the Vegan Ranch Dressing
- 1/2 package (150 g) of soft tofu (see notes for substitution)
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp water
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- optional: 2 tbsp of fresh chopped dill, chives or parsley
For the Stuffed Sweet Potato
- 1 small to medium-sized baked sweet potato per person (or half a medium to large-sized)
- 1/4 of an avocado per person
- chopped green onion, for topping
- If you don’t have cooked sweet potatoes on hand, bake those now. You will need up to 50 minutes, depending on their size. Find complete instructions on baking sweet potatoes here.
- Place the rinsed and drained chickpeas in a bowl and mix with 1/3 cup buffalo sauce, the olive, oil, salt and pepper.
- Cook in a pan until they start to thicken and almost caramelize. This should take about 10 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally. As you stir, mash some of them up to create some texture
- Once they’re done, mix in the extra 1 tbsp of buffalo sauce.
To Make the Vegan Ranch Dressing
- Add all ingredients (except the herbs, if you’re using) to a food processor or high-speed blender, or use an immersion blender and mix until smooth and creamy. I like using the single-server portion of my Ninja Blender for this.
- Add additional water if desired to adjust the consistency.
- If you’re adding fresh dill or parsley, stir them in once it’s blended.
To Assemble the Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- If using halved baked sweet potatoes, place 1-2 halves in a bowl or on a plate. If using whole sweet potatoes, cut the sweet potato in half and open it up a bit so you can add the rest of the ingredients, place in a bowl or on a plate.
- Add a scoop of chickpeas, sliced avocado, chopped green onion, and a drizzle of the vegan ranch dressing.
I haven’t tried making the chickpeas without the olive oil but if you prefer, I think it would be okay to leave it out if you want the recipe to be oil-free.
As an alternative to soft tofu, you can use raw cashews to make the vegan ranch dressing. Use 1/3 cup raw cashews blender with 2 tbsp of water to replace the 1/2 a package of tofu. The rest of the ingredients can stay the same except you may need to adjust the water a bit to reach the right consistency. For best results and the smoothest dressing, soak the cashews for at least a few hours and drain before using.
Keywords: stuffed sweet potatoes, chickpea stuffed sweet potato
This recipe was originally published August 17, 2017. It was updated January 2020 with new photos and text.