Vegan Buffalo Dip
This creamy vegan buffalo dip is easy to make with just a few whole food ingredients and is the perfect crowd-pleasing appetizer for any occasion.
You’d never guess this creamy and addictive, flavour-packed dip is completely dairy-free and made with just a few simple plant-based ingredients.
Instead of chicken, this vegan version of buffalo dip uses canned artichokes to create texture and cashews and nutritional yeast to replace dairy.
What does vegan buffalo dip taste like? It tastes just like the original version, but better! It’s reminiscent of buffalo wings and has a creamy but slightly chunky texture. Everyone will love this plant-based version of the classic party dip!
- Dietary Features: Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.
- Melty, creamy, cheesy and packed with flavour.
- Quick and Easy: Though you’ll need to soak the cashews in advance, the dip itself is super easy to make in less than 30 minutes.
- Perfect for game-day, parties, holidays or any special occasion.
- Can be made in advance and baked when ready to serve.
A complete list of ingredients with amounts and full instructions is located in the printable recipe card below. This section covers ingredient and substitution considerations.
- Cashews: Use plain, raw cashews with no added oil or salt. They will need to be soaked for at least 1 hour in boiled water or you can soak them 8-12 hours. If you don’t have a high-speed blender, I recommend soaking them overnight for best results.
- Artichoke Hearts: Use canned artichoke hearts in water, not oil.
- Plant-Based Milk: Any kind of milk works but I would recommend using something with a mild flavour such as almond or cashew milk. Water or vegetable broth would also work but I like milk for some extra creaminess.
- Buffalo Sauce: I recommend Frank’s Buffalo Sauce for the best buffalo flavour.
- Nutritional Yeast: Adds the “cheesiness”. Don’t skip it.
How to Make Vegan Buffalo Dip
You can scroll down for the complete written recipe. The section below shows step-by-step photos for visual reference for those that want it. Have a peek before you begin!
Before You Start: Soak the cashews in water for 8-12 hours or pour boiling water over them and soak for at least 1 hour. The longer they soak, the creamier your dip will be. After soaking, drain and rinse.
Step 1: Add the soaked cashews and everything except for the artichokes to a high-speed blender or food processor and blend until very smooth and creamy.
Step 2: Add the chopped artichokes and pulse a few times to create a chunky but creamy textures.
Step 3: Transfer the mixture to an approximately 8 x 6 inch baking dish and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown and bubbly.
Top with scallions and serve with your favourite chips!
Notes & Tips
- The dip is best made in a high-speed blender like a Vitamix or Blentec. If you don’t have one, you can use a food processor, just make sure you soak the cashews sufficiently for the creamiest result.
- You may be able to place the cashews with white beans (cannellini beans) for a low-fat option but I haven’t tried it. Let me know if you do!
- If you’re short on milk, you can make up for it with water or vegetable broth.
Well, you don’t have to but I do think they work really well as an easy substitute for chicken in this recipe.
You could leave them out or try swapping them for jackfruit, lightly steamed or roasted cauliflower (or try this buffalo cauliflower), shredded tofu or a vegan shredded chicken alternative.
Without the artichokes it would be more like a buffalo chicken queso dip, as it would be smooth and creamy without the chunkiness. That would be tasty too!
It’s got a bit of heat but I don’t find buffalo sauce that spicy, especially when combined with the cashews, nutrition yeast and milk.
If you’re sensitive to spice, you might find it a little on the spicy side.
Try crackers, veggies like carrot, celery or bell pepper, tortilla chips, toasted baguette or pita.
You can also use the dip as a spread for bagels, sandwiches and wraps.
Storing & Prep Tips
- Dip is best served hot straight from the oven.
- The dip can be made up to 2 days in advance, wrapped well and stored in the fridge for up to 2 days before baking.
- Once baked, it will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days and can be reheated in the oven until heated through.
Vegan Buffalo Dip
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 10 1x
- Category: Dip
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
You’d never guess this creamy and addictive, flavour-packed vegan buffalo dip is completely dairy-free and made with just a few simple plant-based ingredients.
- 2 cups raw cashews (250 g), soaked and drained
- 1 ⅓ cup unsweetened plant-based milk (250 mL)
- ½ cup buffalo sauce
- ⅛ cup nutritional yeast (15 g)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (30 g)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- ½ –1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 3 ½ cups chopped canned artichoke hearts (approx. 1 14 ounce can in water, 400 g)
- thinly sliced scallions for serving, optional
- Soak the cashews in a bowl of water for 8 hours up to overnight or pour boiling water over them and soak for at least 1 hour.
- When you’re ready to make the recipe, preheat the oven to 200 C/400 F.
- Add the soaked and drained cashews and everything except for the artichoke hearts to a high-speed blender and blend until very smooth and creamy.
- Add the chopped artichoke hearts and pulse a few times until you get a chunky but creamy texture.
- Taste the sauce and adjust the seasoning to your preference, if needed. You can add a bit more salt, more buffalo sauce or more lemon juice to adjust the flavour.
- Transfer the mixture to an approximately 8 x 6 inch baking dish and bake for 15-20 minutes uncovered until golden brown on top.
- Serve hot with tortilla chips, pita and/or chopped veggies and topped with a sprinkle of thinly sliced scallions, if desired.
Dip can be made up to 2 days in advance, wrapped or covered and stored in the fridge before baking. After baking, the dip will keep for 3-4 days in the fridge and can be reheated in the oven until heated through.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 173
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 558 mg
- Fat: 11 g
- Carbohydrates: 14 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 7 g
Keywords: vegan buffalo dip, vegan buffalo chicken dip
This dip was delicious with tortilla chips. Even my non vegan husband loved it.
I only soaked the cashews for 30 minutes because I was too anxious to make it tonight.. Next time, I’ll soak them overnight.
Thank you for the yummy recipe!
Great! So glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for the review!
For a nut free version can I substitute raw sunflower seeds and 1 T of maple syrup in lieu of cashews?
Maybe, but I haven’t tried it so I can’t say for sure how it would turn out. I would suggest considering white beans (cannellini) beans as another option. Let me know if you try either!