Vegan Chili Cheese Fries
These vegan chili cheese fries are so healthy and full of goodness you can go ahead and eat them any time you want. They’re made with oil-free baked fries, healthy bean chili and a creamy vegan queso cheese sauce to top it all off. Putting this all together is easier than it looks, all you’ll need is some potatoes and plant-based staples to pull it off. These are highly addictive and always a hit!
Oil-Free Baked Fries
Oil-free baked fries are one of my favourite things to make. They always come out amazing and are such a yummy way to have a meal that feels like a treat but is actually nutritious. A couple tips for beautiful, crispy, oil-free baked fries:
- Pre-heat oven to 425 F.
- Don’t cut them too thin. Well, you can cut them thin but they’ll be more like crunchy tortilla strips if you do. About a 1/2 inch cut is perfect for a puffy and crispy on the outside, tender on the inside fry.
- Use salt, pepper and any spices you want. Nutritional yeast is good too!
- Lay them in a single layer and don’t overcrowd the pan. This is key to crispiness!
- Bake for 25 minutes. Flip, bake for 20 minutes. Done. Works every time!
Queso Cheese Sauce
I made this cashew-based cheese sauce with nutritional yeast, turmeric, tomato sauce, lemon, salt and pepper. It’s so easy to make! If you have a Vitamix or other high-powered blender, there’s no need to soak the cashews, if not you may want to soak them for a few hours or give them a quick boil for 5 minutes or so and drain before using.
To make the sauce, just blend everything up and enjoy! Store any extra in the fridge and use it for tacos, tofu scramble, dip for more oil-free baked fries, over steamed broccoli or cauliflower…whatever you can think of! It’s addictive.
Quick and Easy Bean Chili
I didn’t want to get too complicated with the chili or make too large of batch so all I used was 1 can of beans, some tomato sauce, tomato paste, chili powder, carrot, onion, garlic, salt and pepper. It takes less than 20 minutes from start to finish and is full of nutrition.
Healthy Vegan Chili Cheese Fries
I don’t know if I’ve ever had actual chili cheese fries. It was never something that really appealed to me because beef chili and melted artificial cheese sounds kinda terrible, don’t you think? However, easy homemade bean chili, cashew queso sauce and oil-free baked fries? Sign me up. Right??
These are the perfect Friday night dinner. Not too much work, feels kind pub food-ish and if you don’t feel like making chili, just dip your fries in the queso and call it a day. You will love these and bonus: there will be extra queso sauce!Print
For the Queso Cheese Sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (21 g)
- 2 heaping tbsp tomato sauce (40 g)
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
For the Chili
- 1 19 oz. can mixed beans
- 1 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 a jalapeno, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 1 large grated carrot, grated (approx. 1/2 heaping cup),
- 1 tsp each sea salt and black pepper
For the Fries
- Pre-heat the oven and prep the fries. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Slice the potaotes into wedge fries and toss with sea salt and pepper. Add a pinch of paprika and chili powder, if desired. Line the fries on a baking tray (use parchment paper, a silicone mat or non-stick cooking spray) and bake for 25 minutes, flip and bake 15-20 minutes more until browned and crispy.
- Make the queso. Add all queso ingredients to a high-speed blender and mix until smooth and creamy.
- Make the chili. To make the chili add all the ingredients to a medium-sized pot and little simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring every so often until it’s well-mixed and the carrot is tender.
- Make the chili cheese fries. Once the fries are ready, load them onto a plate. Top with chili and cheese sauce and dig in!
Keywords: chili, potato, queso