How to Bake Sweet Potatoes
Learn how to bake sweet potatoes in the oven for a healthy, delicious and versatile side dish, snack or light main. This recipe is vegan, oil-free and whole food plant-based.
Baked Sweet Potato Tips
Here are a few tips for baked sweet potato success!
- Bake at a higher temperature. I bake sweet potatoes at 425 degrees F for a deliciously caramelized result.
- Choose thinner sweet potatoes. Longer, thinner sweet potatoes bake more evenly than larger, fatter ones. They’re also easier to portion.
- Choose evenly-sized sweet potatoes. Do your best to pick sweet potatoes that are roughly the same size so they all finish baking at the same time.
- Use parchment paper for easy clean up. Parchment paper is optional but the sweet potatoes make a bit of mess as they bake so it does make for an easier clean up. I do however, find the sweet potatoes brown and caramelize better if you bake them right on the pan. Just be sure to give it a quick spritz of cooking spray to prevent sticking.
How to Make Whole Baked Sweet Potatoes
To roast sweet potatoes whole, slice a knife into each potato about 6-7 times, going about a third of the way into the potato with each cut. Pop the whole potatoes on a baking tray and roast until soft. Roasting sweet potatoes whole usually takes 45-60 minutes, depending on size.
I like cutting them in half for a quicker cooking time and the way they caramelize around the cut edge. So yummy!
How to Serve Baked Sweet Potatoes
There are endless yummy ways you can enjoy these sweet potatoes. They can be served sweet or savory and work well for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. Here are a few ideas for serving:
- Scoop out the flesh and use in pancakes, baking, smoothies, oatmeal and desserts.
- Slather in peanut butter, almond butter or tahini and sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt. For dessert, add a drizzle of maple syrup.
- Make breakfast sweet potato bowls with granola, yogurt, nut butter and fruit.
- Make 2-ingredient sweet potato protein cookie dough.
- Top with steamed broccoli, roasted brussel sprouts or steamed spinach or kale and tahini sauce.
- Top with black beans and guacamole.
- Top with taco lentils, salsa and queso sauce.
- Drizzle with miso glaze or miso tahini sauce.
- Add to buddha bowls.
Baked Sweet Potatoes Recipe
Whether you go with whole or halved sweet potatoes, you will love the sweet, caramelized flavour and perfectly tender texture of oven-bake sweet potatoes. No need for oil or foil! These make a healthy treat, light side dish or perfect base for toppings like steamed veggies and tahini sauce.Print
As sweet potatoes bake, the natural sugars caramelize making for one tasty treat! Baked sweet potatoes are healthy, versatile and delicious, try them topped with anything from almond butter to tahini, steamed broccoli to kale.
- 1–5 evenly-sized sweet potatoes
- Turn oven on to 425 degrees F.
- Scrub each sweet potato to remove any dirt and debris.
- Slice each sweet potato in half lengthwise and place cut-side down on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 25-40 minutes until tender when you press on them and caramelized around the edges (they can go in the oven before it reaches 425 F). Cooking time will vary based on size of sweet potato.
- Enjoy as is or with savory toppings like beans, lentils, veggies, queso and salsa or sweet toppings like almond butter, banana, berries, coconut yogurt and granola.
- Leftovers can be frozen or stored in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Keywords: baked sweet potato, baked sweet potato recipe, how long to bake sweet potatoes, how to bake sweet potatoes