Vegan Parmesan Cheese
This vegan parmesan cheese is easy to make in minutes with just 2 simple ingredients. Enjoy sprinkled over pastas, soups, salads and more.
Let’s go over the main ingredients you’ll need to make this dairy-free version of parmesan cheese.
Nuts or Seeds
Vegan parmesan can be made with nuts like cashews or almonds and can be made nut-free by using hemp seeds or sunflower seeds. I like it best with almonds or almonds but any of these or a combination of these will work:
- sunflower seeds
- hemp seeds
- Brazil nuts
What is Nutritional Yeast?
Nutritional yeast is what gives the recipe it’s cheese-like flavour and yellow colouring. If you’re unsure what nutritional yeast is, I have a whole post all about it here.
Nutritional yeast also adds protein and most brands are fortified with B12 which is handy for plant-based eaters. My favourite brands are Hoosier Farms, Bragg’s, Frontier Coop and Bob’s Red Mill.
Can you make it without yeast?
You can make vegan parmesan yeast-free but omitting the nutritional yeast and adding extra salt as well as additional seasonings like oregano, garlic powder and onion powder. It’s more parmesan-like when made with nutritional yeast though.
The only additional seasoning I add to vegan parmesan is sea salt, however, feel free to experiment with other herbs and spices like garlic powder, onion powder, dried basil and dried oregano.
Tips and Notes
- Use raw, unsalted nuts. Salted and/or roasted nuts will change the taste and consistency of the recipe.
- Don’t over blend. Pulse until everything comes together and resembles dry parmesan cheese. Over blending can turn it into a paste, especially if you’re using a softer nut like cashews.
- Use a food processor. I usually use my Vitamix but only because my food processor has seen better days. If you have a food processor, this comes together a little easier using the wider base of a food processor over a blender. That being said, a high-speed blender works too.
- Store in the fridge or freezer. Store the finished product in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a month. It can be frozen for up to 3 months.
How to Use
- Sprinkle over your favourite pasta dish. It also goes well over these vegan lentil meatballs, lentil pasta sauce, vegan bolognese or vegan marinara.
- Sprinkle it over roasted veggies like broccoli, cauliflower or potato.
- Add it to vegan mac and cheese.
- Sprinkle it over your favourite soup. It works well over this cauliflower potato soup, this vegan minestrone and this roasted red pepper tomato soup.
- Use it as a coating for baked tofu, cauliflower or zucchini.
- Sprinkle it over any salad or buddha bowl.
- Sprinkle it on homemade or takeout vegan pizza.
- Use anywhere else you’d use parmesan cheese!
This dairy-free vegan parmesan is easy to make in minutes in a food processor or high-speed blender. Sprinkle over pasta, salads, soup, roasted veggies and more for a nutty, salty, cheesy burst of flavour much like parmesan cheese.
Recipes to Use With
Did you make this recipe? Click here to leave a review!Print
Keywords: how to make vegan parmesan, vegan parmesan cheese, almond parmesan, dairy-free