This quick and easy vegan bolognese sauce makes the perfect, simple and healthy weeknight meal paired with your favourite pasta.
- quick and easy: minimal prep time, 20 minutes of cooking time, just 9 ingredients needed
- dietary needs: vegan, gluten-free, sugar-free
- can be made in advance and frozen for quick meals
- serve with pasta and lentil meatballs for a hearty and delicious, home-cooked meal the whole family will love
Ingredient Notes & Substitutions
- mushrooms – you can use white or crimini mushrooms
- olive oil – good quality olive oil really brings out the flavours of the veggies but if you need the recipe to be oil-free, you can use water or vegetable both for cooking instead of the oil
- thyme – fresh thyme is lovely but it’s totally fine to use dried
- crushed tomato – any variety works, if you can’t find crushed, you can use diced
- stock – any store-bought or homemade broth or bouillon powder/cubes work here
Complete list of ingredients and amounts is located in the recipe card below.
Step by Step Instructions
Step 1. Start by cooking the mushrooms, onion and garlic with the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook for 6-7 minutes, stirring often to prevent burning.
Step 2. Add the carrots and celery. Stir and cook for a few more minutes
Step 3. Add the crushed tomato and vegetable stock. Stir well them simmer lightly over low to medium heat until the carrots are tender, about 15 minutes.
Step 4. Once the carrots are tender, use an immersion blender to partially blend the sauce. A few pulses should do the trick. You want to leave some texture but the veggies should be mostly broken down.
Serve with your choice of pasta or use anywhere you would bolognese sauce.
Yes. To freeze this sauce, let cool completely then transfer to a freezer safe container or bag. Freeze up to 3 months. When ready to use, thaw overnight in the the fridge then reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave until heated to your preference.
The sauce will keep well for 5 days in the fridge. Let cool completely before covering and storing in a sealed container.
You can reheat any leftovers in one large portion or single portions either on the stovetop in a saucepan or in the microwave. If the sauce is too thick for your preference after storing, adjust the consistency with a splash of stock.
Try it with pasta, zucchini noodles, carrot noodles, in lasagna or with lentil meatballs. If enjoying with pasta, cook pasta separately then add to the pot with the sauce or drain the pasta and add desired amount of sauce to the cooked pasta in a bowl. I also recommend serving with lots of fresh basil and vegan parmesan or vegan ricotta!
- Red Lentil Pasta Sauce
- Vegan Pumpkin Pasta
- Vegan Tofu Ricotta
- Vegan Lentil Meatballs
- Vegan Parmesan Cheese
- 500 g white button mushrooms, chopped (approx. 4 cups)
- 1 medium onions, diced (1 cups, 175 g)
- 2 cloves garlic (10 g)
- 2 tbsp olive oil (25 g)
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, leaves removed from step and chopped (or 1 tsp dry)
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced (2 cups, 275 g)
- 2 celery stalks, washed and diced (1 cup 150 g)
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomato (796 ml)
- 1 cup vegetable stock (250 ml)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- In a medium sized saucepan heat olive oil over medium heat, sauté mushrooms, onion and garlic until mushrooms have cooked out and absorbed their liquid, approximately 6-7 minutes.
- Add the thyme, carrots and celery, cooking for another 3-5 minutes stirring often to avoid any chance of burning.
- Stir in the stock and crushed tomatoes. Allow to simmer lightly for an additional 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. When carrots are tender to the touch, blend bolognese with an immersion blender in pulses, until all of the vegetables have been blended.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in freshly chopped parsley or basil and serve over your favourite pasta, if desired.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 5 days or frozen for up to 3 months. Let cool before covering and storing.
- Serving Size: 1/6th of recipe
- Calories: 137
- Fat: 5 g
- Carbohydrates: 20 g
- Protein: 6 g
Keywords: vegan bolognese, vegan bolognese sauce