I usually make pesto with spinach, kale or even swiss chard, but all I had on hand tonight was red peppers. I immediately though of roasted red peppers and basil, and it sounded like a pretty delicious combination so roasted red pepper pesto it was. Try it in this pesto pasta with kale for a delicious and satisfying, plant-based meal.
On the weekend I finally had a chance to pick up some herbs to grow, and I started with my absolute favourites, basil and cilantro. Even since I potted my 3 beautiful, little basil plants I’ve been dreaming of pesto, which as you might remember, is one of my favourite foods.
Making Roasted Red Peppers
If you’ve never made roasted red peppers before they’re surprisingly easy to make, you can check out how to make them in my Spicy Roasted Red Pepper Hummus post. They only take about 15 minutes to roast, about 5 minutes to steam and then they’re ready to be peeled. The flavour you get from roasting them is entirely worth it.
Roasted Red Pepper Pesto Pasta with Kale
This meal is very simple to make so it’s a great weeknight option. You only need a few ingredients and it’s ready in less than 30 minutes. Plus red peppers, basil, almonds, kale and garlic all pack a ton of nutritional benefits! It you top it with nutritional yeast like I did you’ll get an extra hit of protein and B vitamins which if you’re plant-based like me, you can always use!
To save time, make the kale and pasta and prepare the pesto while the red peppers are roasting. When the peppers are done, just peel and add to the rest of the pesto ingredients in the blender and that’s it! It seems like there is a lot to do but it’s all about time efficiency.Print
You could use this pesto sauce in anyway you like, try is as a dip for raw veggies or in your own pasta creations. Try it over a bowl of whole-wheat pasta with sautéed kale for a simple, healthy and easy vegan dinner.
- 1 1/2 cups roasted red peppers – approximately 4 peppers
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup very tightly packed fresh basil
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/4 olive oil
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 bunches of kale, de-stemmed and cut into bite-sized peices
- 1 tbsp of olive oil for cooking
- 1 packed of organic, whole wheat pasta
- nutritional yeast for topping
- Add the roasted red peppers, garlic, basil, almonds, olive oil, sea salt and black pepper to a food processor or blender and mix well.
- Place the kale in a pan with the olive oil and cook on low-heat until softened.
- Cook the pasta according to instructions on package.
- Once the pasta is done, place in a bowl and top with kale, pesto and nutritional yeast.
- Makes 4 large servings.