Vegan Tofu Ricotta
This easy vegan herbed tofu ricotta is a versatile staple for adding flavour and protein to your favourite plant-based meals.
- quick and easy: you’ll need just a few minutes and 6 simple ingredients plus the optional fresh herbs
- dietary needs: vegan, gluten-free, oil-free and sugar-free
- nutrition features: high in protein and low in carbs
- tofu – firm or extra-firm both work
- nutritional yeast – gives it a “cheesy” flavour
- basil – optional, omit for plain tofu ricotta or substituted with other fresh herbs such as dill or chives
Complete list of ingredients and amounts is located in the recipe card below.
Step by Step Instructions
Before You Start: Consider pressing the tofu before us. While this isn’t totally necessary, if your tofu has an excess amount of water in it, pressing it will result in a better, more flavourful final result. Learn how to press tofu here.
Step 1. Add all of the ingredients, except for the basil, to a food processor or blender and process until smooth. If you’re not adding herbs, that’s it!
Step 2. If using, add the basil or other fresh herb of choice and pulse a few times to combine. Enjoy!
How to Use
- mix into pasta or zucchini noodles
- use in lasagna or as a filling for pasta shells
- spread on toast or avocado toast
- use as a dip for veggies or crackers
- add to tofu scramble
- add to salads
- on vegan pizza
- as a sandwich spread
- Store in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- Red Lentil Pasta Sauce
- Vegan Pumpkin Pasta
- Vegan Greek Pasta Salad
- Tempeh Bacon Avocado Breakfast Bowls
- Roasted Garlic Red Pepper Zoodles
Did you make this recipe? Click here to leave a review!Print
- Before you start, consider pressing the tofu for 20-30 minutes to remove excess water. While this isn’t totally necessary to the success of the recipe, pressing it will help with a more flavourful final result. See notes on how to press tofu.
- Blend all of the ingredients except for the basil until smooth, then add the basil and pulse a few times to combine.
- Store in a sealed container the fridge up to one week.
How to Press Tofu: Either use a tofu press or wrap the block of tofu in a dish towel, place on a plate and set a heavy object on top of it. This could be a heavy pan, a few cookbooks or a book with some canned goods placed on top. Let sit for 20-30 minutes then proceed with the recipe.
Herbs: Omit the basil for plain ricotta.
Usage: Anywhere you’d use traditional ricotta. Excellent served over a hot bowl of pasta or zucchini noodles, in lasagna or pasta shells, as a dip or spread for sandwiches, on salads and more.
- Serving Size: 1/4 cup
- Calories: 78
- Sugar: 0.3 g
- Sodium: 390 mg
- Fat: 3.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 3.2 g
- Fiber: 1.4 g
- Protein: 8.1 g
Keywords: tofu ricotta, dairy-free ricotta, how to make tofu ricotta
Originally pubslihed on July 30, 2018. Updated with new photos and text on November 16, 2020.