Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
This roasted red pepper hummus is easy to make with just a few simple ingredients like homemade roasted red peppers, chickpeas and tahini and is delicious as a healthy dip or spread. This recipe is vegan and oil-free.
This recipe is very easy to make, even the roasted red peppers. You’ll need some extra time to roast the red peppers, if you haven’t already but other than that, it’s fairly quick and easy. The recipe is vegan, oil-free, low in fat and sugar-free.
Here’s what you’ll need to make this hummus:
- Roasted red peppers. You can find all the details on how to make roasted red peppers here. You’ll need about 20 minutes to make them to use in this recipe.
- Chickpeas. I used canned chickpeas or 2 cups of cooked chickpeas.
- Tahini. Tahini is an essential hummus ingredient. The kind I like to use is fairly drippy so if yours is quite dry, you may need to add a little water to the recipe to adjust the consistency.
- Lemon. Fresh lemon juice is another hummus-must!
- Garlic. Throw in a couple cloves of garlic.
- Sea salt. I seasoned the hummus with sea salt. Start with 1 tsp then adjust to taste, if needed.
That’s it! It couldn’t be easier either. Just blend up those ingredients and it’s ready to enjoy.
How to Make Roasted Red Peppers
You can find full details on how to make roasted red peppers here. You will need about 30 minutes from start to finish, as many bell peppers as you’d like to roast and a baking tray.
How to Blend the Hummus
This hummus can be made in a high-speed blender or a food processor. I like a food processor best for making hummus but the blades in mine aren’t super sharp so I used my Vitamix for a smooth result here. Both options work just fine but a blender will require a little more attention as you have to repeatedly stop and scrape down the sides.
If you’re looking for more hummus recipes, you might enjoy these:
- Roasted Garlic Hummus
- Beet Hummus
- Roasted Carrot Hummus
- Edamame Hummus
- Roasted Red Pepper Pasta
- Roasted Red Pepper Tomato Soup
- 2 red peppers, seeded, roasted and peeled, about 1 cup sliced roasted red peppers
- 1 19 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed, about 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1/4 cup tahini (60 g)
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin, optional
- for spicy hummus: 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes, or more if desired
- Add everything to a high-speed blender or food processor and start mixing on slow until it’s easily blending, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed. Once it’s blending smoothly, increase the power a little and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Store in the fridge in a sealed container for up to 5 days.
Find full instructions on how to make roasted red peppers here.
Keywords: oil-free, healthy, easy, plant-based, homemade, creamy
This recipe was originally published April 1, 2013. It was updated September 2019 with new photos and improved instructions.