This curried cauliflower sweet potato soup is really easy to make in under 30 minutes, is budget-friendly and full of beautiful flavours like coconut and lime. It’s also great to make ahead of time as the flavours only improve after a day or two after it’s made. It’s thick, rich, filling and totally bowl-licking worthy. At my house, this soup is served as an entree but it would be wonderful as a side or starter too! I’ll share the recipe with you today but if you get busted licking the bowl in public, don’t blame me! Maybe you have more restraint than I do, but this is a tough one to resist.
It’s Soup Season
Once Fall arrives, I start making soups of every kind at my house. Some are creamy like this curried cauliflower sweet potato soup, some are chunky like this kale and cauliflower chowder and some fall somewhere in between like this tomato lentil soup. I love making a few different soups as part of my Sunday food prep so I have cozy, bowls of soup to come home to all week. Soups are so easy to make plant-based too.
A Healthy Eating Staple
Soup is a great way to include tons of vegetables and other healthy ingredients in your diet. It’s typically low in calories but high volume making it a great way to fill up without going overboard on calories, carbs or fats.
I used full-fat coconut milk in this recipe so it’s a littler high in fat than if you were to use light coconut milk or another plant-based milk. If you’d like to reduce the calories per serving you can go ahead and make that substitution. You can reduce the fat in the recipe further by sautéing with some vegetable stock or water rather than coconut oil. If you’d like to reduce the carbohydrates, simply replace the sweet potato with carrot for a lower carb version of the recipe.
Curried Cauliflower Sweet Potato Soup
Fragrant, rich, creamy and so full of flavour you’ll have this soup on repeat through the fall and winter months. Coconut milk and curry combine perfectly with sweet potato and cauliflower and the lime and coconut sugar add a hint of sweetness and citrus that only makes its better. You can have this on the table in about 30 minutes, making it totally doable for a weeknight dinner.
You might just have all the ingredients on hand and ready to go already!Print
- 1 onion, diced (3 cups, 400 g)
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 can coconut milk (full-fat or light)
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cubed (4 cups, 450 g)
- 1 crown of cauliflower, chopped (5 cups, 500 g)
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tsp organic sugar
- 1 cup green peas, fresh or frozen (170 g)
- Cook the garlic and onions in a bit of the vegetable stock for 5 minutes.
- Add the curry powder and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring for a few more minutes.
- Add coconut milk, vegetable stock, sweet potato and cauliflower.
- Simmer until the sweet potato is cooked through and very soft, approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Stir in the lime juice and sugar.
- Place the soup into a blender and process until smooth or use an immersion blender in the pot.
- After it’s smooth, place it all back in the pot and stir in the peas.