Red Curry Kabocha Squash Soup
This Red Curry Kabocha Squash Soup has the most wonderful pairing of Thai red curry and sweet, creamy kabocha squash. This recipe is vegan, oil-free, full of flavour and easy to make with simple, everyday ingredients.
Updated: February 11th, 2019
Great for Food Prep
Soup is one of my favourite things to make for winter food prep. It keeps well, it’s healthy and filling and it’s very easy to make. Plus, the varieties are endless.
Kabocha Squash Soup
Like all of my soup recipes, this red curry kabocha squash soup is as easy as can be to make. Throw a bunch of stuff in a pot, let it simmer, blend it up, done. I’m in love with the sweet flavour the kabocha squash adds to this soup. The sweet squash is balanced out with carrots, garlic, onion, red curry and fresh lime juice, all lending to the classic red curry flavour.
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 medium white onion, diced (300 g, approx. 2 cups)
- 1 tbsp minced fresh ginger or 1 tsp dried ground ginger
- 3 tbsp red curry paste
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 5 cups peeled and cubed kabocha squash (about 1 medium-sized squash or 700 g)
- 4 cups peeled and chopped carrots (about 8 carrots or 600 g)
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/2 to 1 cup light coconut milk
- Add the garlic, onion and ginger to a soup pot with a few tablespoons of the vegetable stock and let cook over medium heat until starting to soften.
- Stir in the red curry paste, stir well and cook for a few more minutes.
- Add the stock, squash and carrot.
- Simmer lightly until the squash and carrot are fork-tender, approximately 20-25 minutes.
- Carefully add the cooked soup to a blender or use an immersion blender in the pot to blend until smooth. Alternatively, you can leave about 1/3 of the soup behind for a chunkier soup.
- Pour the blended soup back into the pot if you used a blender and stir in the fresh lime juice and coconut. Start with 1/2 cup of coconut milk, then add a little more if needed to reach desired thickness.
The soup thickens up quite a bit next day. To adjust the consistency, stir in some vegetable broth or water.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 87
- Sugar: 7.7 g
- Fat: 1.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 17.5 g
- Fiber: 4.2 g
- Protein: 2.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 g
Keywords: easy, quick, healthy