Curried Chickpea Quinoa Salad
You’ll need just a few simple ingredients to make this delicious vegan curried chickpea quinoa salad. Inspired by deli salads, this easy but tasty dish is sure to be a new staple!
- Dietary Features: Vegan, oil-free, gluten-free and nut-free.
- Quick and easy to make with everyday ingredients in under 30 minutes.
- Addictive spiced flavour with sweet and tart bites of cranberry.
- Perfect for meal prep as it stores well in the fridge up to 5 days.
- Great on its own as a meal or side salad or served in a wrap, sandwich or bowl with other veggies and another protein source of choice.
Ingredients & Substitutions
Complete list of ingredients with amounts and instructions is located in the recipe card below.
- Quinoa: Any colour works (white, red, tricolour). If you can’t do quinoa, couscous always works.
- Vegetable Broth: This is an optional ingredient and it’s totally fine to just use water instead of broth. Cooking the quinoa in half broth-half water adds a bit more flavour to it.
- Chickpeas: Canned works great but you can cook your own if you prefer.
- Cranberries: Look for unsweetened or fruit juice-sweetened dried cranberries. If you can’t find them, any dried cranberries work. Thompson raisins are a suitable substitute though I really like the tartness of cranberries in this recipe.
- Bell Pepper: Any colour works but I like green in this recipe.
- Tahini: Creamy tahini is the perfect “dressing” for this salad. You could possible swap it for plain coconut yogurt or mayo but I think tahini works best here.
- Curry Powder: Any bright and beautiful mild yelllow curry powder works. I used madras curry powder.
- Maple Syrup: Perfect addition to balance out the lemon and cranberry. It can be substituted with agave syrup if you prefer.
- Step 1: Cook the quinoa. To prepare the quinoa, bring 2 cups of water to a boil on the stovetop. Add 1 cup of rinsed quinoa, cover, reduce read and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let sit for 5 minutes. Remove the lid and fluff with a fork.
- Step 2: Chop up the bell pepper and scallion, grate the carrot and add them to a bowl with the chickpeas and cranberries.
- Step 4: Mix in the tahini, curry powder, lemon and maple syrup.
- Step 3: Add the cooked quinoa, mix everything up and enjoy!
Notes & Tips
- Serve as is for a light meal, starter or side salad.
- Yummy in a wrap or sandwich with crunchy lettuce and extra tahini sauce.
- Can be added to bowls with other veggies and proteins like baked tofu.
- Pairs well with veggie burgers like these spicy chickpea burgers.
- If you like some heat, add up to 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes.
- Flavours improve next-day so feel free to make it in advance.
- If you’re taking for a packed lunch, ok at room temperature if kept cool until lunchtime.
- Store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- This recipe is not suitable for freezing.
Did you try this recipe? I’d love to hear about it! Click here to leave a review.Print
For the Quinoa
- 1 cup rinsed quinoa
- 2 cups water or 1 cup water and 1 cup vegetable broth
For the Salad
- 15 oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (1.5 cups, 255 g)
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries (35 g)
- 1 green bell pepper, seeds removed and diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and finely grated
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onion (40 g)
- 1/4 cup tahini (60 g)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice (30 mL)
- 2 tsp madras curry powder
- 1.5 tbsp maple syrup (25 mL)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring the water (and broth, if using) to a boil in a medium saucepan. While you’re waiting, rinse the quinoa well under cold water.
- Add the quinoa to the boiling water, cover and reduce the heat to medium low. Simmer lightly for 15 minutes then remove from the heat. Let it sit for 5 minutes then remove the lid and fluff with a fork.
- While the quinoa is cooking, add the rest of the ingredients to a mixing bowl or serving bowl. Mix well to combine.
- Once the quinoa is ready, add that to the bowl with the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Season with salt and pepper, if needed. Enjoy!
Storing: Store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Not suitable for freezing.
Cooking Liquid: Suggested to cook the quinoa in 1 cup water and 1 cup broth for extra flavour.
Recipe makes 4 large side salads or light meals but can easily stretch to 6-8 smaller servings. Nutrition facts are for 4 approximately 1.5 cup servings.
Keywords: chickpea quinoa salad, vegan quinoa salad