Curried Chickpea Salad
This vegan curried chickpea salad is packed with flavour and easy to make in 10-minutes for a healthy and delicious main dish or side salad.
- quick and easy: you’ll need just 10 minutes and a handful of simple, ingredients
- nutrition features: 13 grams of plant-based protein per serving
- dietary features: vegan, oil-free, gluten-free
- works as a light main dish or healthy side salad
- enjoy as is or mash slightly and serve in your favourite wrap with lettuce
Ingredients and Substitutions
- chickpeas – you’ll need about 5 cups worth but it doesn’t have to be exact
- raisins – any variety works but use golden if you can find them
- walnuts – walnuts are perfect here but in a pinch you can use chopped pecans (almonds are ok too but I find them too hard, walnuts and pecans are a bit softer)
- coconut yogurt – use any unsweetened vegan yogurt, just make sure you like the flavour as it will contribute to the flavour of the overall dish…I like Yoso Unsweetened Coconut Yogurt best (if not plant-based or vegan, use any plain, thick yogurt)
Complete list of ingredients and amounts is located in the recipe card below.
Step by Step Instructions
Step 1. Chop up the veggies, nuts and cilantro and add to a large salad or mixing bowl with the raisins and chickpeas.
Step 2. Mix the yogurt with the spices until well combined.
Step 3. Add the yogurt mixture to the bowl with the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- Serve as is as a light and refreshing main dish or pair with a burger or other main for a healthy side.
- Enjoy as is or try mashing it up to make it like chicken salad, which is great on a sandwich or in a wrap.
- To make this recipe nut-free, use sunflower seeds instead of nuts.
- Fridge: Stores well in a sealed container for up to 5 days.
- This recipe is not suitable for freezing.
- If taking to-go, it’s ok for a few hours if kept cool.
- Spicy Chickpea Wraps
- Buffalo Cauliflower Wraps
- Simple Chickpea Salad
- Spiced Chickpeas with Mushroom and Garlic
- Marinated Chickpeas
Did you make this recipe? Click here to leave a review!Print
- 2 19 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (approx. 5 cups)
- 2 stalks celery, washed and diced (approx. 2/3 cup, 130 g)
- 2/3 cup golden raisins (130 g )
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (95 g)
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped (1/3 cup , 20 g)
- 3 green onion, finely chopped (1/3 cup, 30 g)
- 1.5 tsp tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1.5 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 3/4 cup vegan coconut yogurt – unsweetened (180 g)
- Take rinsed chickpeas, diced celery, raisins, walnuts, green onions and chopped cilantro and thoroughly mix in a medium sized bowl.
- Add all spices and seasoning into the bowl, with a wooden spoon stir until well coated, add coconut yogurt and mix until chickpeas are fully coated.
- Option to let stand to marinate for 10 minutes so the flavours can develop.
- Enjoy as is, with a bowl of mixed greens or in your favourite wrap. It can also be mashed up a bit to resembled chicken salad, which is great on sandwiches and in wraps.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- Serving Size: 1/8th of recipe
- Calories: 324
- Fat: 11 g
- Carbohydrates: 47 g
- Protein: 13 g
Keywords: curried chickpea salad, vegan chickpea salad