These easy herb and balsamic marinated chickpeas make a delicious addition to salads or a light and healthy side dish.
- chickpeas – you can cook chickpeas from scratch or use canned, if using canned, drain them and give them a good rinse before using
- olive oil – use a good quality extra-virgin olive oil if possible
- balsamic vinegar – I love balsamic here but red wine vinegar would also work
- herbs – I use dried oregano and thyme but you can mix and match different herbs such as Italian seasoning, parsley and absil
To make these, simply mix everything up in a bowl or sealable container and marinate for a couple hours up to overnight.
Substitutions and Additions
- omit the red pepper flakes if you’re sensitive to spice
- for a hint of sweetness, add up to 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2-3 cloves of minced garlic makes a nice addition
- for herbs, mix and match 3 tsp of parsley, thyme, basil or oregano
- try lemon instead of balsamic vinegar for lemon marinated chickpeas
- try adding up to 1 tbsp dijon mustard for another layer of flavour
How to Store
After marinating, the chickpeas can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- have a few spoonfuls for a snack
- add to salads and bowls
- mash for wraps and sandwiches
- use in hummus for extra flavour
- serve as a simple, healthy side dish
These chickpeas would be a yummy addition to any of these salads:
- Vegan Roasted Beet Salad
- Mediterranean Farro Salad Bowls
- Roasted Squash Salad
- Mediterranean Quinoa Bowls
- Cauliflower Quinoa Tabouli Bowls
For more side dishes, try my Roasted Golden Beets, Rosemary Lemon Roasted Potatoes or Sautéed Green Beans. For more easy chickpea recipes, try these Spiced Skillet Chickpeas, Sweet Potato and Chickpea Skillet and Curried Chickpea Salad.
Did you try this recipe? I’d love to hear about it! Scroll down to the comment section to leave a star rating and review.
Simple, balsamic marinated chickpeas that are the perfect flavourful addition to salads and bowls.
- Mix everything together in a sealable container and marinate for at least one hour up to overnight.
- Store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Serving Size: 1/4 cup
- Calories: 88
- Sodium: 383 mg
- Fat: 5 g
- Carbohydrates: 8 g
- Fiber: 2.5 g
- Protein: 3 g
Keywords: marinated chickpeas