These easy herb and balsamic marinated chickpeas make a delicious addition to salads or a light and healthy side dish.
- chickpeas – you can cook chickpeas from scratch or use canned, if using canned, drain them and give them a good rinse before using
- olive oil – use a good quality extra-virgin olive oil if possible
- balsamic vinegar – I love balsamic here but red wine vinegar would also work
- herbs – I use dried oregano and thyme but you can mix and match different herbs such as Italian seasoning, parsley and absil
To make these, simply mix everything up in a bowl or sealable container and marinate for a couple hours up to overnight.
Substitutions and Additions
- omit the red pepper flakes if you’re sensitive to spice
- for a hint of sweetness, add up to 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2-3 cloves of minced garlic makes a nice addition
- for herbs, mix and match 3 tsp of parsley, thyme, basil or oregano
- try lemon instead of balsamic vinegar for lemon marinated chickpeas
- try adding up to 1 tbsp dijon mustard for another layer of flavour
How to Store
After marinating, the chickpeas can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- have a few spoonfuls for a snack
- add to salads and bowls
- mash for wraps and sandwiches
- use in hummus for extra flavour
- serve as a simple, healthy side dish
These chickpeas would be a yummy addition to any of these salads:
- Vegan Roasted Beet Salad
- Mediterranean Farro Salad Bowls
- Roasted Squash Salad
- Mediterranean Quinoa Bowls
- Cauliflower Quinoa Tabouli Bowls
Did you try this recipe? I’d love to hear about it! Click here to leave a review.Print
- Mix everything together in a sealable container and marinate for at least one hour up to overnight.
- Store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Omit the red pepper flakes if you’re sensitive to spice.
For additional flavouring, try up to 1 tbsp of maple syrup, up to 1 tbsp dijon mustard and/or 2-3 minced cloves of garlic.
- Serving Size: 1/4 cup
- Calories: 88
- Sodium: 383 mg
- Fat: 5 g
- Carbohydrates: 8 g
- Fiber: 2.5 g
- Protein: 3 g
Keywords: marinated chickpeas