Spiced Skillet Chickpeas
These spiced chickpeas with mushroom, onion and garlic work well as a healthy salad topper but they’re also outstanding as a delicious side dish.
Chickpea recipes like this one are easy to make, keep well, are naturally gluten-free and a good source of fiber and protein in a plant-based diet.
These spiced chickpeas are perfect for adding to salads, wraps, soups or serving as a simple but flavourful side dish. Enjoy anytime of day for a healthy meal or snack!
- Dietary Features: Vegan, gluten-free, nut-free.
- Rich in fibre and plant-based protein.
- Easy to make in 20 minutes with just a few ingredients.
- Enjoy for any meal of the day or a healthy snack.
- Delicious way to prepare chickpeas or try it with pinto beans or black beans.
- Easy to customize with different vegetables.
- Add to salads, soups, wraps and bowls for extra protein and flavour.
A complete list of ingredients with amounts and full instructions is located in the printable recipe card below. This section covers ingredient and substitution considerations.
- Chickpeas: I used 1 19 oz can, which is roughly 2.5 cups. The amount doesn’t have to be exact. You can also use chickpeas you’ve cooked from scratch.
- Olive Oil: Any neutral cooking oil works.
- Onion: You can use white or yellow onion or shallots.
- Mushrooms: Use white, crimini or brown mushrooms. You could also remove the gills from portobello mushrooms, dice and use those. If you don’t like mushrooms, it’s also ok to leave them out, the recipe will will be yummy!
- Spices: You’ll need paprika, onion and garlic powder, dried oregano, salt and pepper, chili powder and thyme. These can be mixed and matched to your preference. Cumin is also a nice addition!
How to Make Spiced Chickpeas
Step 1: Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat then add the onions, garlic and mushrooms and cook for 6-7 minutes until softened and starting to brown.
Step 2: Add all of the spices and cook for a few more minutes, stirring often.
Step 3: Add the chickpeas and cook for another 5-10 minutes until heated through, slightly crispy and browned. Season with salt and pepper, if needed and serve!
Quick Tip: Try your chickpeas served with a sprinkle of fresh chopped herbs like parsley and a squeeze of lime juice for extra flavour.
How to Use
- Enjoy as a healthy breakfast side or main dish.
- Add to salads and bowls for extra protein, flavour and nutrition.
- Pair with rice for a simple but complete meal.
- Enjoy on their own as a light meal or snack.
- Add to soups like my ginger carrot soup or garlic cauliflower soup.
- Add to a healthy wrap with spinach and avocado.
- Serve over mashed potatoes or squash for a comforting winter meal.
Notes & Tips
- Greens: For extra nutrition, stir in a handful of spinach or chopped kale at the end.
- Additional Veggies: For extra veggies, try red bell pepper or zucchini.
- Fresh Herbs: Serve with chopped fresh parsley or cilantro.
- Oil-Free Option: Omit the oil and use water or broth to cook the veggies.
- Fridge: Let cool then store in a sealed container for 3-4 days.
- Reheating: Enjoy cold or reheat in the microwave or in a pan until heated through.
- Freezer: Not suitable for freezing.
More Chickpea Recipes
- Sweet Potato and Chickpea Skillet: A simple one-pan chickpea dish with veggies in a maple dijon dressing.
- Peanut Chickpea Bowl: Chickpeas, mango and veggies with a peanut coconut sauce that’s perfect for a meal prep bowl.
- Curried Chickpea Quinoa Salad: One of my favourite meal prep salads!
- Cauliflower Chickpea Curry: A reader-favourite cauliflower and chickpea curry that’s easy to make and so yummy.
- Marinated Chickpeas: Another really easy way to prepare chickpeas.
Did you try this recipe?
I’d love to hear about it! Click here to leave a review and be sure to tag me @runningonrealfood if you post it on social media.
Quick and Easy Spiced Chickpeas
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Side
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-Free
This healthy chickpea recipes is extra flavorful thanks to a wonderful blend of spices and yummy mushrooms, garlic and onion. Enjoy this as a side dish, healthy snack or piled on top of a salad.
- 2.5 cups cooked chickpeas (1 19 oz. can, drained and rinsed)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 a medium white onion, diced
- 2 cups sliced white mushrooms
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat or omit the oil and use a splash of water or vegetable broth.
- Add the onions, garlic and mushrooms and cook for 6 or 7 minutes, stirring every couple minutes to allow them to start to brown.
- Add all the spices and cook for a few more minutes, stirring often.
- Add the chickpeas and continue cooking and stirring for 5-10 minutes until heated through and browned.
Feel free to throw in a handful of spinach at the end of cooking for a chickpea and spinach dish.
This can also be made with black beans, pinto beans or even cooked lentils.
Keywords: spiced chickpeas, vegan chickpea dish, chickpea side dish, easy, healthy, plant-based
Originally Published: June 11, 2014.
Love this recipe! I added 1 teaspoon of cumin as suggested in the text. I have also added a can of diced tomatoes for a different twist. Always turns out great!
Last minute, late night emergency go to.
Perfect crowd feeder no matter the age.
Simple and straightforward to prepare and easily adjusted if you don’t have all the ingredients listed – still came out great. No complex equipment or processes that cab put one off. Healthy, nutrition and plenty off recommendations given by the author of this page which super helpful- exourages you to think athe different ways you can make this dish different.
Very good! I left out the onions and mushrooms so I can use the chick peas in a wrap. Mix all spices (except garlic) in a bowl then put chick peas in and put a lid on and shake to mix, then put in pan. No plain chick peas this way!