How to Make Cauliflower Rice
Learn how to make cauliflower rice with a grater or in a food processor or blender. Cauliflower rice is a healthy, low-carb, grain-free and paleo alternative to rice that can be used in a variety of ways or in just about any dish that calls for grains like rice or quinoa.
How to Rice Cauliflower
My favourite way to rice cauliflower is using a food processor. It takes just minutes to process a whole head of cauliflower into a rice consistency. That being said, you can also use a grater or a blender. Let’s go over the various methods.
How to Prepare the Cauliflower
Before you proceed with the methods below, prepare the cauliflower by:
- Washing the whole head.
- Pulling off all the green parts and discarding them.
- Chopping the cauliflower in half.
- If you’re using a box grater, chop it into large chunks.
- If you’re using a blender or food processor, chop it into small florets.
Food Processor Method
There are a couple different ways you can make cauliflower rice using a food processor. My food processor doesn’t have a grater attachment, so I just toss chopped cauliflower right into the container and it works just fine.
Here’s how to use a food processor:
- Grater Attachment: Run the chopped cauliflower through the grating attachment for your food processor.
- No Attachment: Fill the food processor container about 3/4 of the way full with cauliflower florets. Pulse until the cauliflower resembles grains of rice. You may need to stop to scrape down the sides once or twice. Work in batches as needed. Usually 2 batches is enough for one average-sized cauliflower.
If you don’t have a food processor, cauliflower rice can also be made in a high-speed blender. The process is pretty much the same as using a food processor.
Cut the cauliflower into small florets and add to the blender container. Blend until the cauliflower on low until it resembles grains of rice. Use a tamper to push the cauliflower down or stop to scrape down the sides as needed. It should take about 15-30 seconds to make the cauliflower rice.
Grated cauliflower rice is fairly quick and easy too so if you don’t have a food processor, no problem. Just grate chunks of cauliflower into rice using the medium-sized holes of any hand-held or box grater.
This method is a little messier than using a food processor but it’s also handy if you don’t have one or don’t feel like getting yours out. It also works well if you only need a small amount of cauliflower rice.
How to Cook Cauliflower Rice
There are many ways to use cauliflower rice as an alternative to rice, quinoa, farro or other whole grains. Here are some options for cooking cauliflower rice:
- Sautéed Cauliflower Rice: Cook the riced cauliflower in a skillet over medium-high heat for 6-7 minutes or until tender. I just use a splash of water or broth to cook but you can also use 1-2 tsp olive or coconut oil.
- Stir-Fried Cauliflower Rice: This method is similar to sautéing expect you’ll use a wok over high heat. All the cauliflower to sit in the pan for a couples minutes so it starts to brown then stir and cook for 5-6 minutes until tender.
- Steamed Cauliflower Rice: Use a steamer insert or double boiler to steam cauliflower for 4-5 minutes until tender.
If I’m not using cauliflower rice in a recipe, I like to season it with a splash of soy sauce, salt and pepper. It’s also good mixed with some coconut milk, lime and cilantro for Asian-inspired rice or cilantro and lime for Mexican-inspired rice.
You can add additional veggies to any of these methods. Onion and garlic work well, as do peas, carrots, bell peppers and broccoli.
Other Uses for Cauliflower Rice
- Add to smoothies for a boost in nutrition.
- Add to stovetop oatmeal. Try it in this pumpkin oatmeal instead of zucchini.
- Make cauliflower rice pudding.
- Use cooked cauliflower rice in burritos or burrito bowls.
- Serve topped with chickpea curry, panang curry or Thai red curry.
- Cook with taco seasonings, stuff inside bell peppers and bake.
How long does cauliflower rice last?
You can store raw or cooked cauliflower rice in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Can you freeze cauliflower rice?
Yes, Cauliflower rice can be frozen for up to 1 month, raw or cooked and thawed in the fridge as needed.
Cauliflower Rice Recipe
The recipe below goes through making raw cauliflower in a food processor or with a hand-held or box grater. Raw cauliflower rice can be sautéed or stir-fried stovetop in minutes, steamed, added to smoothies or used in recipes in place or rice or quinoa.
Cauliflower Rice Recipes To Try
Here are some popular cauliflower rice recipes you might like to try:
- Healthy Fried Cauliflower Rice
- Pineapple Cashew Cauliflower Rice
- Thai Red Curry Cauliflower Rice
- Coconut Cauliflower Dahl
- Cauliflower Rice Fajitas
- Cauliflower Rice Buddha Bowl
- 1 head of cauliflower (or as little or as much as needed)
- Wash the cauliflower then remove all the green leaves.
- Grater Method: Cut the cauliflower into large chunks and then grate into rice using medium-sized holes
- Food Processor Method: Chop the cauliflower in half then cut small florets away from the thick stem. You can use a grater attachment for your food processor or just toss it right into the container and pulse a few times until it resembles grains of rice.
- Now that you have cauliflower rice, you can use it in a recipe or cook in a skillet for 6-7 minutes with a splash of water or 1-2 tsp olive oil. Add extra ingredients like diced white onion, garlic, soy sauce and pepper for extra flavour. The cooked cauliflower rice can be served in anyway that rice would. Raw cauliflower rice can be used in recipes such as Cauliflower Fried Rice, Red Curry Cauliflower or Pineapple Cashew Cauliflower Rice.
- Cooked or raw cauliflower rice can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 day in an airtight container. It can also be frozen for up to 1 month.
Keywords: rice cauliflower, riced, healthy, paleo, plant-based, blender