Quick Vegetable Chickpea Curry
This quick and easy vegetable chickpea curry might just be your new go-to dinner. Have this healthy vegan meal on the table in 20 minutes with minimal ingredients required.
- quick and easy – dinner in 20 minutes, woohoo!
- easy to customize with whatever veggies you have on hand
- nutritious and satisfying
- works well for meal prep
- vegan, gluten-free and oil-free
- high in fibre and plant-based protein
- chickpeas – use drained and rinsed canned chickpeas or cook your own, you’ll need about 2.5 cups but it doesn’t have to be exact
- veggies – I used bell peppers and broccoli but the recipe is easy to customize to whatever you have on hand, we’ll cover your options below
- onion and garlic – don’t skip these two…if you like, you can also add fresh minced ginger for an additional layer of flavour
- spices -you’ll need mild yellow curry powder, pepper, turmeric and cumin but you can also customize these and it’s not a big deal if you’re missing the turmeric or cumin….use them all if you have them though!
- coconut milk – light or full-fat coconut milk both work but I prefer light for this recipe
- coconut sugar– this is optional, can be substituted with maple syrup, agave or any other granulated sweetener
Complete list of ingredients and amounts is located in the recipe card below.
Step by Step Instructions
Step 1. Add the chopped veggies to a skillet or wok with 1 tbsp water, broth or oil and cook over medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes.
Step 2. Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a light simmer.
Step 3. Cook for 5-6 minutes until it starts getting a bit thicker and the veggies are cooked to your liking.
Serve right away over your favourite rice topped with lime and fresh cilantro, if desired.
Use up to 6 cups of mixed vegetable such as:
- chopped zucchini
- thinly sliced or diced carrot
- green peas (mix in at end)
- snap or snow peas
- red onion
- green beans
- Let cool then store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Can be stored on its own or mixed with rice.
- Reheat stovetop or in the microwave until heated to your preference.
- This dish is not ideal for freezing.
- Easy Vegetable Green Curry
- Easy Vegetable Thai Red Curry
- Vegan BBQ Tofu Bowls
- Vegan Panang Curry with Tofu
- Red Lentil Cauliflower Curry
Did you make this recipe? Click here to leave a review!Print
- 1 19 oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (330 g, approx. 2.5 cups)
- 2 bell peppers, any color, thinly sliced (approx. 250 g)
- 4 cups chopped broccoli (approx. 300 g)
- 1 medium white onion (300 g, approx. 2 cups)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (or 1 tsp garlic powder)
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 14 oz. can light or full-fat coconut milk
- 1 tbsp soy sauce or gluten-free tamari
- 1 tsp coconut sugar or maple syrup
- cooked white or brown rice, for serving
- Add all the veggies to a wok or large skillet, add a splash of water and cook over medium-high heat for a few minutes.
- Add everything else and cook for 7-8 minutes until the veggies are al dente or cooked to your liking.
- Serve with white or brown rice, topped with fresh cilantro and lime, if desired.
To make this even faster, throw everything in the pan at the same time. Cook for about 10 minutes and serve! It’s so easy.
For spiciness, add up to 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes with the other spices.
Storing: Let cool then store in the fridge for up to 4 days. Can be stored on its own or mixed with rice. Reheat as needed in the microwave or stovetop until heated to your preference. This recipe is not ideal for freezing.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 242
- Sugar: 10 g
- Sodium: 380 mg
- Fat: 10 g
- Carbohydrates: 33 g
- Fiber: 10 g
- Protein: 10 g
Keywords: chickpea curry, easy curry recipe
This recipe was originally published on December 11, 2018. Updated with new photos and text on November 4, 2020.