Vegetable Thai Red Curry
If I had to eat one ethnic food group for the rest of my life, Thai would definitely be a front-runner. Thai food is everything you could ask for: sweet, salty, sour, creamy, fragrant and flavourful. I can never get homemade Thai food to taste quite as good as the real thing but it comes pretty close and certainly takes care of any cravings. This Vegetable Thai Red Curry recipe is my go-to for a quick and easy, Thai-inspired meal at home. It’s very easy to make, only takes about 20 minutes and can be mixed with rice, quinoa, rice noodles, zucchini noodles or just enjoyed on it’s own.
One of my favourite things about this recipe is you can toss in any vegetables you have on hand making it an excellent meal for the end of the week when you need to clean out the fridge. My favourite vegetables to add to this are broccoli, peppers, zucchini and carrot but I’ve added everything from mushrooms to eggplant and even squash and it’s always delicious.
Full-Fat Or Light Coconut Milk?
I typically make this recipe with light coconut milk so it’s a little easier on the calories however, full-fat coconut milk will make the dish creamier, thicker and richer. For a special occasion or more authentic Thai red curry, I’d recommend going with full-fat coconut milk. Day to day, I use light coconut milk to reduce the amount of fat in the dish.
What to Serve It With
What to serve Vegetable Thai Red Curry with is the best part! My favourites are brown rice, jasmine rice, rice noodles and zoodles. I love it with rice because the rice soaks up all that delicious, creamy red curry sauce!
How about add-ins and toppings? I like adding some protein so I’ll usually toss in a handful of chickpeas or some crispy baked tofu. Cubed tempeh or seitan is really good too! Of course, don’t forget plenty of fresh lime juice and cilantro!
Best Toppings and Add-Ins for Vegetable Thai Red Curry
fresh squeezed lime
chopped green onions
Vegetable Thai Red Curry
Well, friends. What’s not to love here? Ready in less than 30 minutes, one pan, simple ingredients, healthy, vegan, outstanding Thai red curry flavour, add your fave toppings and protein, packed with vitamin A, C and potassium…this dish will be a favourite, I promise!Print
- 1 small onion, diced (2 cups, 225 g)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 1 can coconut milk (light or full-fat)
- 2 tsp organic sugar or coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 2 red peppers, sliced (3 cups, 290 g)
- 2 small zucchini (4 cups, 450 g)
- 3 carrots, chopped (2 heaping cups, 350 g)
- 1 crown of broccoli, chopped (4 cups, 275 g)
- In a sauce pan, sauté the garlic and onion in a splash of the water or vegetable stock.
- Add the curry paste, stir.
- Add the coconut milk, sugar, soy sauce, ginger and the rest of the water or vegetable stock. Stir and bring to a gentle boil.
- Add in all the vegetables. Cook until vegetables are tender and the sauce is starting to thicken a little, approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Serve with chopped green onions, fresh cilantro and lime over rice or noodles or on it’s own.
Nutrition facts are for light coconut milk.
- Serving Size: 1/6th of recipe
- Calories: 187 calories
- Sugar: 15 g
- Sodium: 398 mg
- Fat: 6 g
- Carbohydrates: 29 g
- Fiber: 8.5 g
- Protein: 6 g