Roasted Chickpea Avocado Salad
This delicious roasted chickpea avocado salad features avocado and crunchy roasted chickpeas with creamy tahini dressing for a mouthwatering combo you’ll love.
- dietary needs: vegan, gluten-free, nut-free
- ready in under 40 minutes with just a few minutes of prep time
- components can be made in advance for quick assembly
- makes a light but filling and satisfying plant-based meal
- serve as a main dish for 4 or small side salad for 8
- tahini – look for tahini that’s smooth and creamy and has an earthy, ever-so-slightly sweet taste (good tahini shouldn’t be overly bitter)
- chickpeas – canned or cooked form scratch both work, you’ll need about 2.5 cups cooked but it doesn’t have to be an exact amount, feel free to make extra for snacking!
- kale – substituted with any other leafy green of choice, crunchy romaine or arugula works well here!
- hemp seeds – optional for nutrition and texture, substitute with pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds
- lime – lemon works great too
- maple syrup – can be omitted for a sugar-free dressing (or replaced with a tiny pinch of stevia)
Complete list of ingredients and amounts is located in the recipe card below.
Step by Step Instructions
Before you Start: Preheat the oven to 350 F.
Step 1. Drain and rinse the chickpeas then:
- place them on a dish towel
- fold the dish towel over them and roll them around until they’re nearly dry, the drier they are, the crispier they’ll come out. If some of the skins come off, no worries…just pick them out.
- place the chickpeas on a baking tray and drizzle with the oil and roll them around until they’re all coated
- roast for 30-40 minutes until golden brown
- add the spices and roll around to coat
- they will get crispy as they cool
Quick Tip: If you have leftover roasted chickpeas, let them cool completely on the pan then store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Step 2. Make the salad dressing by adding all the ingredients to any container and whisking together until smooth and creamy.
Step 3. Finely chop the kale, drizzle it with the olive oil and massage it with your hand until it’s all softened.
Divide the kale, avocado, chickpeas and hemp seeds between 4 bowls, drizzle each with the dressing and enjoy!
Notes and Tips
- Oil-Free Option: Omit the oil for roasting the chickpeas. Very lightly steam the kale or massage it with a spritz of lemon juice.
- Quick Option: Skip the roasted chickpeas and just use plain chickpeas.
- Spices: If you don’t have cumin and coriander on hand for the chickpeas, even just salt and pepper is great. You can also play around with other combinations such as onion powder and garlic powder and chili powder and paprika. Want to keep it simple? Just a pinch of salt is perfect.
Storing and Prep
- Best served fresh but the assembled salad can be stored in the fridge for 1-2 days. If you leave the avocado off until serving it will keep 3-4 days.
- To prep in advance, make the chickpeas and tahini sauce and store up to 5 days.
- The kale can also be washed, chopped and stored up to 5 days for quicker assembly.
- Roasted Potato Kale Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Roasted Chickpea Kale Salad
- Vegan Kale Caesar Salad with Roasted Chickpeas
- Buffalo Cauliflower Kale Salad
- Kale Peanut Brown Rice Salad
Did you try this recipe?
I’d love to hear about it! Click here to leave a review and be sure to tag me @runningonrealfood if you post it on social media.
This salad is filling, nourishing, full of flavour and easy to make. The roasted chickpeas provide the perfect crunch against the creamy avocado and the tahini lime dressing adds so much flavour, you might just wanna lick the bowl.
For the Tahini Dressing
- 5 tbsp tahini (75 g)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3 tbsp fresh lime or lemon juice
- 3 tbsp water (or more to adjust consistency)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
For the Roasted Chickpeas
- 1 19 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (approx. 2.5 cups)
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
For the Kale Salad
- 6 cups finely chopped kale (approx. 1 large handful per salad)
- 1/4 tsp olive oil
- 2 avocado, peeled, pit removed and sliced (about 1/2 an avocado per bowl)
- 8 tbsp hemp seeds (2 tbsp per bowl)
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 F.
- Prepare the chickpeas by draining them and giving them a thorough rinse. Place them on a dish towel, fold it over them and roll them around until they’re near completely dry. The drier, the better. If some of the skins come off that’s good, you can pick those out. For the crispiest chickpeas, remove all the skins.
- Place the dried chickpeas on a baking tray and drizzle them with the olive oil, rolling around so they’re all coated. Roast for 30-40 minutes until golden brown. When they come out of the oven add the spices and roll around to coat. They will get crispy as they cool.
- To make the dressing, add all the ingredients to a small dish and whisk until smooth and creamy.
- Finely chop the kale and drizzle it with the olive oil. Massage it with your hands for about a minute until it’s all dark green and has softened up.
- Either create 1 large salad by mixing everything together in a serving or mixing bowl or my preferred method, divide the kale between 4 servings or bowls, top with equal amounts of the sliced avocado, chickpea and hemp seeds and drizzle each with the dressing until you’ve used it all up.
Storing: Best served fresh but can be stored 1-2 days in the fridge if you’re already added the avocado. If you leave the avocado off until serving, it will keep for 3-4 days. If you want to make it in advance for quick assembly, make the chickpeas and tahini dressing in advance and store up to 5 days. Kale can be chopped in advanced and stored for a few days as well.
Hemp seeds can be substituted with sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds. Kale can be substituted with any other leafy green.
Spices: If you don’t have cumin and coriander on hand for the chickpeas, even just salt and pepper is great. You can also play around with other combinations such as onion powder and garlic powder and chili powder and paprika. Want to keep it simple? Just a pinch of salt is pe
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 535
- Fat: 30 g
- Carbohydrates: 50 g
- Fiber: 19 g
- Protein: 23 g
Keywords: roasted chickpea salad, chickpea avocado salad
Originally pubslihed on August 1, 2018. Updated on November 20, 2020 with new photos and text.