Kale Peanut Brown Rice Salad
This vegan kale brown rice salad with broccoli and peanut sauce is easy to make and packed with nutrition. Enjoy it fresh or make it in advance for a healthy meal prep option.
- dietary needs: vegan, gluten-free, refined sugar-free, can be nut-free
- nutrition features: whole food-based, high in protein and fiber
- meal prep-friendly: the flavours only improve with time so this salad is great for meal prep, either as a main dish or healthy side
- brown rice – can be substituted with long-grain white rice, wild rice or any rice blend
- kale – any variety works
- cilantro – totally optional if you’re not a fan!
- bell pepper – use any colour
- peanut butter – sub with almond butter for a peanut-free recipe or sunflower seed butter for a nut-free recipe
- rice wine vinegar – seasoned or unseasoned is fine
- maple syrup – sub with agave or for a sugar-free recipe a small amount of stevia or monk fruit sweetener
- soy sauce – be sure to use gluten-free tamari or coconut aminos if you need the recipe to be gluten-free
Complete list of ingredients and amounts is located in the recipe card below.
Step by Step Instructions
Step 1. If you don’t have brown rice on hand, start cooking that now according to package instructions. When the rice is done cooking, stir in the chopped kale to soften.
Step 2. Chop the broccoli and steam on the stovetop (or other method of choice) for 3-4 minutes. It should be cooked al dente ie. a nice, bright green and still have some crunch to it.
Step 3. Chop up the rest of the veggies and the cilantro and mix in a bowl with the steamed broccoli.
Step 4. Make the sauce by blending all the ingredients together until smooth and creamy.
Quick Tip: If you don’t have a way to blend the dressing, omit the garlic cloves and fresh ginger and add 1 tsp of garlic powder and 1/2 tsp ground ginger. Whisk everything together until smooth.
Mix everything together, add the peanut sauce and enjoy!
Notes and Tips
- Storing: Store in the fridge for up to 4 days. Let cool completely before storing if the rice is warm.
- Nut-Free Option: Be sure to use sunflower seed butter or Wowbutter instead of peanut butter.
- Gluten-Free Option: Be sure to use coconut aminos or gluten-free tamari instead of soy sauce.
- Alternative Dressings: This spicy peanut sauce, coconut peanut sauce or almond satay sauce also work well on this salad.
- Edamame Broccoli Wild Rice Salad
- Vegan Thai Chopped Salad
- Broccoli Brown Rice Bowl
- Tofu Kale Salad
- Edamame Mango Salad
Did you try this recipe?
I’d love to hear about it! Click here to leave a review and be sure to tag me @runningonrealfood if you post it on social media.
This brown rice salad is packed with flavour and nutrition. You’ll love the healthy veggies and rice topped off with crunchy cashews and creamy peanut sauce. This recipe holds up well so you can make it for food prep and is vegan, gluten-free and oil-free.
For the Brown Rice Salad
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice (180 g, approx. 2.5–3 cups cooked)
- 3 cups packed, finely chopped de-stemmed kale (1 large bunch)
- 1 cup diced cucumber (1/2 a cucumber)
- 1 heaping cup peeled and grated carrot (2 carrots)
- 2 cups broccoli florets (1 large crown broccoli), lightly steamed
- 1 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1 diced red pepper
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste (I used about 1/2 tsp each)
- squeeze of fresh lime juice
- a few tbsp chopped cashews or peanuts per serving, optional
For the Peanut Sauce
- Cook the brown rice according to package directions. Use a pot that will be large enough to stir the kale in once the rice is cooked. Once the rice is cooked, stir in the chopped kale so it softens. If you already have cooked rice on hand, just mix the kale with the rest of the veggies.
- Chop and steam the broccoli on the stovetop for 4 minutes or cook al dente using another method of choice.
- Chop up the rest of the vegetables and the cilantro and add to a large serving or mixing bowl.
- Add all of the sauce ingredients to a blender and mix until smooth and creamy. If needed, add water 1 tsp at a time to adjust the consistency. The sauce should be thick but pourable.
- Add the cooked rice and kale to the bowl with the vegetables and mix to combine.
- Top with the dressing and mix. If needed, season with salt and pepper.
- If desired, serve topped with a squeeze of fresh lime juice and a few chopped peanuts or cashews
Storing: Let cool if the rice is still warm then store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 384
- Fat: 17 g
- Carbohydrates: 48 g
- Fiber: 6 g
- Protein: 13 g
Keywords: asian brown rice salad, peanut rice salad
Originally published on February 12, 2013. Updated with new photos and text on November 16, 2020.