For the Brown Rice Salad
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice (180 g, approx. 2.5–3 cups cooked)
- 3 cups packed, finely chopped de-stemmed kale (1 large bunch)
- 1 cup diced cucumber (1/2 a cucumber)
- 1 heaping cup peeled and grated carrot (2 carrots)
- 2 cups broccoli florets (1 large crown broccoli), lightly steamed
- 1 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1 diced red pepper
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste (I used about 1/2 tsp each)
- squeeze of fresh lime juice
- a few tbsp chopped cashews or peanuts per serving, optional
For the Peanut Sauce
- Cook the brown rice according to package directions. Use a pot that will be large enough to stir the kale in once the rice is cooked. Once the rice is cooked, stir in the chopped kale so it softens. If you already have cooked rice on hand, just mix the kale with the rest of the veggies.
- Chop and steam the broccoli on the stovetop for 4 minutes or cook al dente using another method of choice.
- Chop up the rest of the vegetables and the cilantro and add to a large serving or mixing bowl.
- Add all of the sauce ingredients to a blender and mix until smooth and creamy. If needed, add water 1 tsp at a time to adjust the consistency. The sauce should be thick but pourable.
- Add the cooked rice and kale to the bowl with the vegetables and mix to combine.
- Top with the dressing and mix. If needed, season with salt and pepper.
- If desired, serve topped with a squeeze of fresh lime juice and a few chopped peanuts or cashews
Storing: Let cool if the rice is still warm then store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 384
- Fat: 17 g
- Carbohydrates: 48 g
- Fiber: 6 g
- Protein: 13 g
Keywords: asian brown rice salad, peanut rice salad