This salad is filling, nourishing, full of flavour and easy to make. The roasted chickpeas provide the perfect crunch against the creamy avocado and the tahini lime dressing adds so much flavour, you might just wanna lick the bowl.
For the Tahini Dressing
- 5 tbsp (75 g) tahini
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3 tbsp fresh lime or lemon juice
- 3 tbsp water, or more to adjust consistency
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
For the Roasted Chickpeas
- 1 19 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
For the Kale Salad
- 6 cups finely chopped kale
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 2 avocado, peeled, pit removed and sliced
- 8 tbsp hemp seeds
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 F.
- Prepare the chickpeas by draining them and giving them a thorough rinse. Place them on a dish towel, fold it over them and roll them around until they’re near completely dry. The drier they are, the crispier they will get. If some of the skins come off that’s good, you can pick those out. For the crispiest chickpeas, remove all the skins.
- Place the dried chickpeas on a baking tray and drizzle them with the olive oil, salt and pepper, rolling around so they’re all coated. Roast for 30-40 minutes until golden brown. Let them cool on the pan.
- To make the dressing, add all the ingredients to a container and whisk until smooth and creamy, slowly adding more water to adjust the consistency if needed.
- Finely chop the kale and drizzle it with the olive oil. Massage it with your hands for about a minute until it’s all dark green and softens.
- Either create 1 large salad by mixing everything together in a serving or mixing bowl or my preferred method, divide the kale between 4 servings or bowls, top with equal amounts of the sliced avocado, chickpea and hemp seeds and drizzle each with the dressing until you’ve used it all up. Serve immediately.
Storing: Best served fresh but can be stored 1-2 days in the fridge if you’re already added the avocado. If you leave the avocado off until serving, it will keep for 3-4 days. If you want to make it in advance for quick assembly, make the chickpeas and tahini dressing in advance and store up to 5 days. Kale can be chopped in advanced and stored for a few days as well.
Hemp seeds can be substituted with sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds. Kale can be substituted with any other leafy green.
Keywords: tahini kale salad, kale salad with tahini dressing.