Simple Chickpea Salad
This fresh and simple chickpea salad takes just minutes to make with a few everyday ingredients. Vegan and gluten-free, it’s an easy, healthy way to include more beans in your diet.
What You’ll Need
- Fresh herbs. I used rosemary and parsley but you can customize the recipe by trying other herbs such as cilantro, basil or dill.
- Oil. I used olive oil but avocado oil would also be suitable.
- Chickpeas. You’ll need about 3 cups cooked chickpeas (garbanzo beans). I used canned chickpeas but you can also use chickpeas cooked from scratch.
- Salt and pepper. Use good quality sea salt and fresh cracked black peppercorns for the best flavor.
How to Make this Recipe
This recipe is very easy to make but let’s go over a few tips and tricks for success.
- chop the fresh rosemary and garlic as finely as you can
- very finely mince the garlic or use a garlic press if you have one
- if using canned chickpeas, drain and rinse them well before using
Once you’ve chopped the herbs and garlic, mix everything up, season with salt and pepper and enjoy your simple chickpea salad!
This lovely salad makes a great base for some delicious variations. Here are a few ways to switch things up:
- serve topped with diced avocado
- add 2 tbsp of mayo for a creamy, tangy salad
- add a drizzle of lemon tahini dressing
- add 1/2 cup grated carrot
- instead of rosemary and parsley, try dill, chives or basil
- for a warm chickpea salad, try gently sauteeing the mixture in a skillet until heated through
Looking for a hot chickpea dish? Try these easy spiced chickpeas.
How to Serve
- enjoy on its own for a light main or healthy side dish
- add to salads or buddha bowls
- mash it up with a bit of mayo or tahini and use in a sandwich or wrap
More Chickpea Recipes
- Curried Chickpea Salad
- BBQ Chickpea Salad
- Chickpea Shawarma Salad
- Spicy Chickpea Wraps
- Mashed Chickpea Tabouleh Salad
For more quick and easy salads, try my spicy carrot slaw, apple beet slaw or beet chickpea salad.
Did you try this recipe?
I’d love to hear about it! Click here to leave a review and be sure to tag me @runningonrealfood if you post it on social media.
Simple Chickpea Salad
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Diet: Vegan
A simple chickpea salad featuring fresh herbs and lemon that takes just minutes to make. Enjoy as a light main dish or healthy side.
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 5 cloves garlic, minced (about 4 tbsp)
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 15 oz cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed (about 3 cups)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, or more to taste
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper, or more to taste
- Add everything to a bowl and mix well.
- Serve right away. Store any leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Basil or dill work well as alternative herbs. For combinations, try dill and chives, parsley and chives, or basil on its own.
Keywords: simple chickpea salad, lemon chickpea salad
UPDATE NOTE: This recipe was originally published on February 1, 2015. It was updated in April 2020 with new photos and text.
I wanted to try this recipe with chives and dill. Using the measurements you have listed, would you recommend 1 cup chives and 1/4 cup dill?? Or something different?
I really enjoy all the recipes I have tried of yours so far. Thank you!
I think that sounds good! Just about any combination will be tasty.
Thanks for replying. It turned out really good. Nice and garlicky.
Thank you Deryn! This was so easy, so simple, yet SO delicious! The perfect, last minute side salad, when you think you need “maybe one more side dish”! We are having it tonight with grilled chicken, Greek salad and and THIS beautiful salad too! 5 stars for sure!
Perfect! I’m so glad you enjoyed it. I love it for a super quick option too! Thanks for the review.
Wonderful. I’ve made it a few times and will make it again!
Delicious! I overdid it with the garlic .. 🙂 But probably good for immunity in the current times! Everyone loved it and so simple and easy to make. Thank you.
Absolutely Amazing! So easy, inexpensive, and delicious. I just made some and cannot stop eating– Highly recommend.
Fantastic recipe, you have helped me see chickpeas in a new light. Is this a recipe that can be served warm as well?
OMG, that salad looks delicious!
This combines so many of my favorite ingredients! I bet it tastes delicious! I’ve been using rosemary more and more lately. Usually, I’m all about thyme. 😉
This is so beautiful and fresh for the winter! I love rosemary and DILL! Dill is amazing!