Cheesy Vegan Broccoli Potato Soup
This cheesy vegan broccoli potato soup is so easy to make with just a few simple ingredients but it’s full of flavour and hearty goodness. You’ll need onion, garlic, carrot, broccoli, potato, vegetable broth and nutritional yeast, that’s it! If you want to skip the cheese-flavour it’s good even without the nutritional yeast for a classic creamy broccoli and potato soup.
Vegan Cheesy Soup
To make this vegan cheesy soup you’ll need to get your hands on nutritional yeast. I use it in recipes to create a cheesy, salty flavour. From my post all about nutritional yeast:
Nutritional yeast is made from a single-celled organism called Saccharomyces Cerevisiae that’s grown on molasses, cane sugar or some other medium. It’s harvested, washed and dried with heat to kill, or deactivate the yeast so it stops growing. It does not have leavening abilities like baking yeast since it’s deactivated during processing. After it’s treated with heat, it’s crumbled or flaked and packaged for use.
Sounds delicious, doesn’t it? Haha. Really though, it’s great and very handy for creating cheesy flavour to dishes like soups and sauces. You can also try it in my wild rice cauliflower soup, vegan queso and cheesy vegan zucchini noodles. Since nutritional yeast is also often fortified with B12, it’s also an easy way to get B12 in a plant-based diet. More on that in vegan nutrition guide.
Vegan Broccoli Potato Soup
This cheesy soup is easy to make in under 30 minutes. You just need to simmer it until the potatoes are tender, blend until smooth and creamy, mix in the broccoli, cook a few more minutes and it’s ready to go. You can either blend it all until completely smooth or leave 1/2 behind for a chunky potato soup. I’ve made it both ways and both are awesome. I love it completely blended and creamy but it’s also amazing with bites of potato and carrot throughout.
All you need to make it is potato, onion, garlic, carrot, vegetable broth, nutritional yeast and broccoli. Despite the simple ingredient list, this cozy, yummy, creamy soup has no shortage of flavour and nutrition. The flavours only get better the next day and it can be kept in the fridge up to 5 days, so go ahead and include it as part of your weekly food prep for healthy meals all week.
Recipe Nutrition Details
This recipe 5 makes large meal-sized servings. Each serving provides 172 calories with grams of 35 carbohydrates, 8 grams of protein and less than 1 gram of fat. You’ll also be getting grams of 7 grams of dietary fibre with more than your daily requirements of vitamin A and vitamin C and 10% of your daily iron and calcium. It’s also rich in B vitamins, potassium, vitamin E and folate.
More Healthy Soup Recipes
I’ve got quite the collection of healthy soup recipes, so if you’re loving this one, check these out too:
Curried Roasted Butternut Squash Soup // Healthy Kale and Cauliflower Soup // Creamy Cauliflower Wild Rice Soup // Roasted Red Pepper Tomato Soup // Spicy Vegan Black Bean Soup // Vegan Sweet Potato Corn ChowderPrint
- 1 medium white or yellow onion, diced (approx. 3 cups, 350 g)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 medium carrots, peeled and chopped (approx. 4 cups, 450 g)
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed (approx. 4 cups, 450 g)
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast (30 g)
- 4 cups chopped broccoli
- 1 tsp each sea salt and black pepper, or more to taste
- Add the minced garlic, chopped onion and a splash of water or broth to a soup pot and cook over medium heat for 5-6 minutes until softened and fragrant.
- Add the chopped carrots and potatoes. Stir and cook for a few more minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth and simmer until the potatoes and carrots can be peirced with a fork.
- Transfer the soup to a blender (or leave about 1/3 behind for a chunky soup), add the nutritional yeast and mix until smooth and creamy. Once blended, add it back to the pot.
- Stir in the broccoli and cook for about 5 more minutes until the broccoli is cooked al dente.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve right away. Leftovers can be stored in the fridge in a sealed container for up to 5 days.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 172
- Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 35 g
- Fiber: 7 g
- Protein: 8 g