Vegan Sweet Potato Corn Chowder
You’ll love this easy 30-minute sweet potato corn chowder for a warm and comforting meal any night of the week.
- dietary features: vegan, gluten-free and oil-free
- nutrition features: low in fat, no added sugar
- quick and easy: you’ll need just 30 minutes and a handful of basic ingredients
- meal prep-friendly: make up to 4 days in advance for healthy meals ready to go
- sweet potato – sub with regular potato if you like for a more traditional vegan corn chowder recipe
- red bell pepper – any colour bell pepper works if you don’t have red on hand
- corn – I used frozen but fresh or canned is also fine
- broth – any homemade or store-bought broth or bouillon powder works
Complete list of ingredients and amounts is located in the recipe card below.
Step by Step Instructions
Step 1. Start by chopping up the onion, garlic and celery and adding them to a large soup pot with a couple tablespoons of water or broth. Cook them over medium heat for about 5 minutes until starting to soften.
Step 2. Add the sweet potato and broth, bring to a light simmer and cook for 5-6 minutes, uncovered.
Step 3. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer lightly until the sweeter potato is easily pierced with a fork. This should take no more than 10 minutes.
Step 4. Carefully scoop about 3/4 of the soup into a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Make sure you allow the steam to escape while blending! Pour the blended soup back into the pot with the unblended portion.
Stir to combine, season with salt and pepper, if needed, and enjoy!
Slow Cooker Method
- add all ingredients to a slow cooker
- cook on low for 3-4 hours or on high for 2 hours
- remove about 2/3 of soup and puree until smooth
- mix back in with rest of soup
- season with salt and pepper and serve
- Fridge: Let cool completely then store in a sealed container for up to 5 days.
- Freezer: Let cool completely then store in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. Can be stored in one batch or smaller portions. Thaw overnight in the fridge when ready to enjoy.
- Reheating: Reheat stovetop or in the microwave until heated to your preference.
- Creamy Cauliflower Wild Rice Soup
- Cauliflower Sweet Potato Turmeric Soup
- Cauliflower Potato Soup with Peas
- Easy Vegan Minestrone Soup
- Vegan Chickpea Vegetable Chowder
Did you try this recipe? I’d love to hear about it! Click here to leave a review.Print
- 1 white onion, diced (3 cups, 350 g)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 ribs celery, chopped (2 cups, 200 g)
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed (2 heaping cups, 250 g)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 4 cups frozen corn (680 g)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- sea salt and fresh-cracked black pepper, to taste
- Add the onion, garlic and celery to a soup pot with a splash of water or vegetable broth. Cook for 5 minutes until starting to soften.
- Add the sweet potato and broth, bring to a light simmer and cook for 7-8 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer lightly for another 5-10 minutes until the sweet potato is easily pierced with a fork.
- Carefully scoop about 2/3 of the soup into a blender. Blend until smooth and creamy. Mke sure you allow the steam to escape while blending. Pour the blended portion back into the pot with the unblended soup and stir to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve right away.
- Serving Size: 1/6th of recipe
- Calories: 186
- Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 40 g
- Fiber: 6 g
- Protein: 6 g
Keywords: vegan corn chowder, sweet potato corn chowder
Originally published on September 3, 2014. Updated with new photos and text on November 24, 2020.