This easy vegan minestrone soup recipe is so great for a quick weeknight meal. It can be on the table in about 25 minutes including prep time and it makes a healthy, filling meal that the whole family will love.
Vegan Minestrone Ingredients
To make this soup, you’ll need:
pasta of choice
canned kidney beans
carrots, celery, onion, garlic
canned diced tomatoes
salt and pepper
Can I Sub the Vegetables?
Sure! You can use any veggies you like up to 2-3 cups. I would keep the onion and garlic in there but from there you can sub in other veggies like brussel sprouts, zucchini or bell peppers. I sometimes add 2 cups of fresh spinach or chopped kale at the end just to get some greens in there.
What Kind of Pasta to Use
You can use any kind of pasta you like! I’ve used whole wheat bows, rotini and fusilli. To make it gluten-free, you can use chickpea pasta, lentil pasta or a quinoa or brown rice pasta. Just check the cooking time for the type of pasta you use so you have a general idea of how long it will take to cook in the soup.
Quick and Easy Vegan Minestrone
This vegan minestrone is healthy, filling, budget-friendly and easy to make in no time at all. It’s been a go-to at my house lately when I don’t feel like thinking too much about dinner. I hope you enjoy it too!
Recipe Nutrition Details
This recipe makes 6 large meal-sized servings or 8 smaller servings. If you make 6 servings each serving provides 131 calories with 27 grams of carbohydrates, 1 gram of fat, 6 grams of protein and 5 grams of fibre. For more nutrition details see the nutrition facts box below. For more information on plant-based nutrition, check out my vegan nutrition guide and list of the best vegan protein sources. Just starting out? Read my post on how to transition to a plant-based diet.
More Easy Soup Recipes
If you’re loving this easy minestrone, you’ll love these soups too:Print
This easy soup is perfect for weeknight meals when you want something quick but still hearty and healthy. It’s great for cleaning out the fridge and pantry too! Switch up the veggies with anything you like such as chopped zucchini or green beans, up to 3 total cups.
- 1 large white onion, diced, approx. 2 cups (300 g)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 carrots, chopped, approx. 1 heaping cup (150 g)
- 2 ribs celery, chopped, approx. 1 cup (125 g)
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes the juices
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp each dried basil and oregano
- 1 1/4 cup uncooked pasta of choice such as whole wheat bows or rotini (85 g)
- 1 19 oz can kidney beans, drained and well-rinsed
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- optional, 2 handfuls of fresh spinach or chopped kale
- Add the onions, garlic, carrots and celery to a soup pot and cook over medium heat in a splash of water or broth for 10 minutes, stirring frequently and adding water as needed if it starts to dry out.
- Add the diced tomatoes, broth, beans and pasta and simmer lightly until the pasta is tender, approximately 10-15 minutes depending on the kind of pasta you use.
- If you want to add some spinach or kale, stir that in now and turn off the heat.
- Season with salt and pepper and either serve right away or store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Keywords: vegetarian, healthy, quick