Vegan Cream of Broccoli Soup
This vegan cream of broccoli soup is easy to make in 30 minutes with just a handful of healthy ingredients. Enjoy this simple dairy-free twist on classic cream of broccoli for a quick, nourishing plant-based meal.
I used to love a can of Campbell’s Cream of Broccoli and Cheddar Soup when I was a kid. That and a grilled cheese sandwich was my favourite. Now, I’d rather skip those for something a little healthier with ingredients I feel good about.
This vegan cream of broccoli soup is creamy and flavourful and I love that I can enjoy a satisfying serving without it being too heavy. You’ll love this quick and easy recipe. It takes just minutes to prep for a healthy meal that’s full of flavour and nutrition.
- Dietary Features: Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.
- Nutrition Features: Low-fat, low-carb, low-calorie.
- Quick and Easy: Ready in 30 minutes with just a few basic ingredients.
- Stores well in the fridge or freezer so can be made in advance and works well for meal prep.
Complete list of ingredients with amounts and instructions is located in the recipe card below.
- Onion and Garlic: Use these for the aromatic base. White or yellow onion works here.
- Carrot and Celery: Help add additional flavour. Mix and match the amounts if you don’t have quite enough. Youj’ll need about 2 cups total. Zucchini works well here too.
- Broccoli: Fresh or frozen works!
- Milk: Any plant-based milk works but I’d recommend something with a neutral flavour like unsweetened almond or cashew milk. For a creamier consistency, you can make a cashew cream by blending 1/2 cup soaked cashews with 3/4 cup water.
Step 1. Add the onion, garlic, carrot and celery to a pot with a couple of tablespoons of the vegetable broth. Cook them for 6-7 minutes until they’re soft and fragrant.
Step 2. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer lightly until all the veggies are tender, about 10-15 minutes.
Step 3. Carefully transfer the soup to a blender and process until smooth and creamy. Alternatively, use an immersion blender in the pot until you reach your desired consistency.
Quick Tip: Prefer a chunky soup? Scoop out half of the soup to blend then pour it back into the pot with the unblended portion and stir to combine.
Season the soup with salt and pepper and enjoy right away with any toppings you enjoy!
Yes. To freeze it, let it cool then store in one large freezer-safe container or individual portions. When you’re ready to eat it, pull it from the freezer the night before and let it thaw in the fridge. Reheat as needed on the stovetop or in the microwave.
To make this a “cheesy” soup, blend in 1/2 cup nutritional yeast when you blend the soup. You could also try this broccoli potato soup.
- Fridge: Store in a sealed container for up to 5 days.
- Freezer: Store in a sealed container or individual containers for up to 2 months.
- Reheating: Reheat leftovers on the stovetop or in the microwave until heated through.
Did you try this recipe? I’d love to hear about it! Click here to leave a review.Print
- 2 small or 1 large white onion, diced (300 g, approx. 2 cups)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (20 g)
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped (175 g, approx. 1 cup)
- 2 ribs celery, chopped (75 g, approx. 1 cup)
- 6 cups chopped broccoli (450 g)
- 3 cups vegetable stock (750 mL)
- 1 cup dairy-free milk (250 mL)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Saute the veggies. Add the onion, garlic, carrots and celery to a pot with a few tablespoons of the vegetable stock and cook until they start to soften and become fragrant, about 6-7 minutes.
- Add ingredients and simmer. Add the broccoli, stock and non-dairy milk and simmer over medium heat until all the veggies are soft and tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Blend soup. Carefully pour the soup into a blender and process until smooth, or use an immersion blender in the pot. If you prefer a chunky soup, leave a few scoops of veggies behind in the pot then pour the blended soup back in to the pot and mix together.
- Season with salt and pepper, if needed. Serve right away.
Soup can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days or freezer for up to 3 months. Reheat as needed on the stovetop or in the microwave.
For a creamier soup, add 1/2 cup raw cashews when you add the broccoli. Just make sure you have a good blender that can get it nice and smooth. If not, you can soak the cashews overnight then blend with 3/4 cup water to create a cashew cream, then use that instead of the dairy-free milk.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 56
- Sugar: 5.6 g
- Fat: 0.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 13.5 g
- Fiber: 4.4 g
- Protein: 3.4 g
Keywords: easy broccoli soup, healthy broccoli soup, quick broccoli soup
Originally Posted: November 12, 2016