White Bean Kale Soup
A simple recipe for vegan white bean and kale soup made with lemon, garlic and rosemary for the perfect, healthy and flavourful comfort food!
- dietary needs: vegan, gluten-free, nut-free, soy-free
- nutrition features: low in fat and overall calories, high in fibre with 5 grams of protein per serving
- quick and easy: once you soak the beans, the soup is ready in less than 30 minutes
- dried white beans – I recommend caninlinni beans (white kidney beans) but navy beans are also suitable (see FAQs for using canned beans instead of dried)
- olive oil – cook with water or broth instead of oil to make the recipe oil-free
- kale – any variety works or it can be left out for plain white bean soup
Complete list of ingredients and amounts is located in the recipe card below.
Step by Step Method
Before You Start: Place the white beans in a large bowl and add water until they’re submerged by a few inches. Soak overnight at room temperature or in the fridge then drain and rinse well.
Step 1. Heat the olive oil in medium to large soup pot then add the celery, onion and garlic.. Saute for a few minutes until tender and fragrant.
Step 2. Add the beans, bay leaves, rosemary, salt, pepper and water. Bring the soup to a steady simmer and cook for about 20 minutes, uncovered.
Step 3. Carefully scoop about half of the soup into a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Be sure to allow the steam to escape while you’re blending. Pour the blended portion back into the pot with the remaining soup.
Stir in the chopped kale and lemon zest and juice and enjoy right away!
Definitely! White beans are filling, rich in dietary fibre, low in fat and contain complex carbohydrates and plant-based protein. This soup also has the bonus of nutrient-rich kale!
If olive oil is a health or nutrition concern it may be substituted with water or broth for an oil-free recipe.
Yes, white bean soup can be made with canned beans if needed, however, I do recommend dried beans for the best results. If using canned beans, skip the soaking and reduce the simmer time from 20 minutes to 5-10 minutes.
I recommend cannellini beans (white kidney beans) but navy beans also work well.
Yes. To freeze, let cool completely then store in an airtight freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating stovetop or in the microwave.
- Fridge: Let cool then store in a sealed container for up to 5 days.
- Freezer: Let cool then store in an airtight freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge.
- Reheating: Reheat in a pot on the stovetop or in a microwave-safe container in the microwave until heated to your preference. If the soup has thickened substantially after storing, adjust the consistency by stirring in a little water or broth.
- Vegan Potato Leek Soup
- Vegan Potato Soup
- Cauliflower Potato Soup with Peas
- White Bean Chili
- Vegan Zuppa Toscana
Did you try this recipe? I’d love to hear about it! Click here to leave a review.Print
This creamy white bean and kale soup is the ultimate cold weather comfort food and once you soak the beans, it’s ready in less than 30 minutes!
- 3 cups dried white beans – soaked overnight (400 g)
- 2 tbsp olive oil (25 g)
- 1 medium onion, diced (200 g)
- 3 celery stalks, chopped(185 g)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (10 g)
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, leaves removed and finely chopped (4 g)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- 6 cups water (1500 ml)
- 1 bunch curly kale, stems removed and finely chopped (100 g)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- Place the white beans in a large bowl and fill the bowl with water until the beans are submerged by a few inches. Soak at room temperature or in the fridge overnight. When you’re ready to make the soup, drain the beans and rinse well.
- Heat a medium pot with olive oil, add onion, celery and garlic and sauté until tender and aromatic.
- Add beans, rosemary, bay leaves, salt, pepper and water. Bring to a light and steady simmer, uncovered, for approximately 20 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves and discard.
- Carefully scoop half of the soup into a blender and blend until smooth. Be sure to allow the steam to escape as you’re blending.
- Pour the blended soup back into the pot with the unblended portion.
- Stir in the chopped kale, lemon zest and juice.
- Serve immediately topped with fresh cracked black pepper.
Storing: Let cool then store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days or freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge if frozen. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave until heated to your preference. If soup has thickened substantially after storing, adjust the consistency by stirring in a little water or broth.
- Serving Size: 1/6th of recipe
- Calories: 167
- Fat: 5 g
- Carbohydrates: 14 g
- Protein: 5 g
Keywords: white bean and kale soup, vegan white bean soup