White Bean Chili
This vegan white bean chili with corn and potatoes is packed with flavour and easy to make in under 45 minutes for a healthy weeknight meal.
Why You’ll Love this Chili
- dietary features: vegan, plant-based, gluten-free, can be oil-free
- quick and easy to make in under 45 minutes
- hearty and delicious for a vegetarian chili
- great for meal prep as flavours improve with time
- freezes well for batch cooking
Ingredients & Substitutions
- olive oil – use vegetable stock for an oil-free option
- potato – any variety works here but I suggest something like Yukon Gold
- stock – any store-bought or homemade vegetable broth works, I usually use bouillon powder such as Better Than Bouillon
- white kidney (cannellini) beans – canned works great, just drain and rinsed well, you can also use white beans you cooked from scratch
- corn – fresh, frozen or canned all work, if using canned, drain and rinse before use
See recipe card below for complete list of ingredients with amounts.
Step by Step Instructions
Step 1. In a large pot over medium heat, saute the onion, garlic and jalapeno in the olive oil (or broth for oil-free) for about 5 minutes until softened and fragrant.
Step 2. Add all of the spices and sauté another few minutes.
Step 3. Add the potatoes and vegetable broth and bring to simmer. Cook for about 10 minutes until the potatoes are close to fork tender.
Step 4. Add the beans and simmer lightly for another 15-20 minutes.
Step 5. Use a potato masher or immersion blender and mash or pulse 3-4 times to create texture and thicken the chili.
Step 6. Fold in the corn and cilantro and remove from heat.
Step 7. Finish with fresh lime juice, lime zest and fresh cracked black pepper.
Serve hot topped with finely chopped green onions, avocado and whatever else you enjoy with chili.
- dairy-free sour cream
- dairy-free cheese
- salsa or salsa verde
- lime juice and zest
- black pepper
- tortilla chips
- corn bread
Slow Cooker Instructions
- For the best flavour, sauté onions, garlic and jalapeño in oil or broth stovetop until fragrant and softened, about 5 minutes. Add all the spices and cook another 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer to the crock pot and add everything else except for the corn, cilantro and lime.
- Cook over low heat for 3-4 hours or high for 2-3 hours.
- Stir in the corn, cilantro and lime. Season if needed and enjoy.
White beans include white beans great northern beans, navy beans, lima beans and cannellini beans. They’re all quite similar in taste, texture and nutrition, however, this recipe is best with cannellini beans, otherwise known as white kidney beans.
This one is! Most chili recipes make a healthy meal that’s high in protein and fibre, low in fat and relatively low in calories. It really depends what toppings you add!
- White Bean Kale Soup
- Slow Cooker Red Lentil Chili
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili
- Vegan Instant Pot Quinoa Chili
- Vegan 3 Bean Chili
Did you try this recipe?
I’d love to hear about it! Click here to leave a review and be sure to tag me @runningonrealfood if you post it on social media.
This vegan white bean chili is easy to make, low in fat, high in protein and so full of flavour, everyone will be asking for seconds! Hearty, healthy and delicious, it’s sure to be a new favourite. It’s great for meal prep too!
- 2 tbsp olive oil (15 g, sub vegetable broth as an oil-free option)
- 1 medium onion diced (2 cups, 250 g)
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced (2 tbsp, 25 g)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (1 tbsp, 10 g)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 medium potato, peeled and diced (3 heaping cups, 525 g)
- 4 cups vegetable broth (1000 ml)
- 3 x 540 mL can white kidney beans, drained and rinsed (about 7.5 cups)
- 2 cups frozen corn (225 g)
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro (20 g)
- zest and juice from 1 lime (approx. 1/8 cup lime juice and 1 tbsp zest)
- fresh cracked black pepper, for topping
- finely chopped green onion, for topping
- In a large pot over medium heat, sauté onions, garlic and jalapeño in the olive oil until translucent and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Add all of the spices and sauté for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and broth and bring to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Add beans and continue to simmer lightly for 15-20 minutes.
- With a potato masher or immersion blender, pulse or mash potatoes and beans 3 or 4 times to create some texture.
- Fold in corn and cilantro and turn off the heat.
- Finish chilli with fresh lime juice, lime zest and fresh cracked black pepper. Serve hot with finely chopped green onions and avocado.
If you don’t have a zester, use a peeler to remove some peel then finely chop.
Storing: Let cool then store in airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Reheat stovetop or in the microwave until heated to your preference.
- Serving Size: 1/6th of recipe
- Calories: 324
- Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 58 g
- Protein: 17 g
Keywords: vegan white bean chili, vegan white chili, white bean chili recipe