3 Bean Vegan Chili
Who doesn’t love a big bowl of chili on a cold winters day? Total comfort food right?! Luckily, chili is a comfort food that can actually be very nutritious, so you can dig into a big bowl absolutely guilt-free. The beauty of this 3 Bean Vegan Chili is the secret veggie ingredient, grated cauliflower! The cauliflower gives it a wonderful texture and helps thicken it up. I’ve used the ever versatile cauliflower to make everything from rice, to mashed potatoes, to wings and parmesan cheese, and it works perfectly as the “meat” in this healthy chili recipe.
Perfect Quick Weeknight Meal
If you’re looking for a quick week night dinner, this is a great option. It’s also a great make-ahead meal, it freezes well, it’s inexpensive and it’s very filling. All you have to do is chop, open a few cans, throw it all in a pot, simmer, simmer a little more and voila! 3 Bean Vegan Chili!
Mix and Match Beans and Peppers
If you don’t have all 3 colours of peppers, just use what you have, same goes for the beans. If you don’t have 3 cans of different beans, feel free to switch it up and go with whatever you have on hand. It’s the spices, vegetable stock and tomato paste that add the flavour to the substance, so you can play around with the veggies and beans no problem.
More Winter Goodness
If you’re looking for more cozy, Winter recipes, check out my Root Vegetable Stew, Kale, Lentil and Sweet Potato Stew, Spicy Peanut Stew with Rice and Chickpeas or my Curried Vegetable and Chickpea Stew.
3 Bean Vegan Chili with Cauliflower Rice
I hope you enjoy this simple but healthy and hearty vegan dish. My husband said you can’t even tell there’s no meat in it and that usually gives a recipe the seal of approval.Print
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, diced
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 5 carrots, chopped
- 1 jalepeno, seeded and diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 yellow pepper, diced
- 1 19 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 19 oz. can fava beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 19 oz. can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 – 1 1/2 cup water (start with 1 cup and add a little extra if it’s too thick)
- 1 crown of cauliflower, grated (approx. 3 cups)
- Cook the onion and garlic in the olive oil for 5 minutes, stirring.
- Add the chili powder, bay leaves and tomato paste and cook for a few more minutes.
- Add in all the vegetables, except for the cauliflower.
- Add the water and bouillon cube, cover and simmer about 10 minutes.
- Add the grated cauliflower and continue to cook until all the vegetables are soft and the chili is nice and thick. (Approx. 10-20 minutes).
- Remove the bay leaves and serve.
- Makes 4 huge servings or 6-8 smaller portions.