Slow Cooker Red Lentil Chili
This slow cooker red lentil chili is as easy as throwing everything in a crockpot and turning it on. Enjoy for a hearty, nourishing meal that’s great for meal prep or feeding a crowd.
- dietary features: vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, sugar-free
- perfect for meal prep and freezes well
- amazing topped with avocado, vegan sour cream, jalapeno, crushed tortilla chips or dairy-free cheese
- hearty, nourishing and full of flavour…even better the next day!
Complete list of ingredients and amounts is located in the recipe card below.
- diced tomatoes – any kind works but I love Muir Glen fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- chili spices – I used chili powder, cumin, paprika and oregano…the chili powder is essential but if you’re missing one of the others it’s ok
- bell peppers – any colour works
- lentils – this recipe is best with red lentils, however, you could use green or brown if needed, just note it will have a very different texture as red lentils are soft when cooked and green stay firm and retain their shape
- broth – any store-bought or homemade broth you like works, I used vegetable bouillon powder to make mine
How to Make this Recipe
Step 1. Chop up the bell peppers, carrot, garlic, jalapeno and onion and them to the crock pot.
Step 2. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir well to combine.
Step 3. Cook for 3 hours on high for 5-6 hours on low.
Enjoy hot with your favourite chili toppings!
- crushed tortilla chips
- fresh cilantro
- vegan sour cream
- dairy-free cheese
- sliced green onions
- queso sauce
- Saute the onions and garlic in a splash of broth for 5 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a light simmer.
- Cook for 25-30 minutes until the lentils are tender and the chili is nice and thick.
- Let cool then store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days or freezer for up to 3 months.
- If frozen, thaw overnight in the fridge.
- Reheat as needed in the microwave or stovetop until heated to your preference.
Did you try this recipe? I’d love to hear about it! Click here to leave a review.Print
- 1 medium white or yellow onion, diced (approx. 2 cups or 300 g)
- 2 bell peppers, any colour, seeds removed and diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced (about 1 cup chopped, 150 g)
- 1 jalapeño, de-seeded and minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tsp regular or smoked paprika
- 1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes with the juices
- 2 tablespoons (30 g) tomato paste
- 3–4 cups (750 mL) vegetable broth
- 2 cups (370 g) dry red lentils
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Add all of the ingredients to a slow cooker and mix well.
- Cook on high for 3 hours or low for 5-6 hours.
- Serve right away with your favourite chili toppings such as avocado, vegan sour cream, dairy-free cheese, sliced scallions and salsa.
Start with 3 cups of broth. Check after 2 hours and see if you may need to add a little more. I’ve made it with as little as 2.5 cups and as much as 4. It just depends how thick you like it!
See post for stovetop instructions.
Customize: Mix in 1 or 2 cans of beans such as chickpeas, black beans, kidney beans or pinto beans for additional texture.
Let cool then store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days or freezer for up to 3 months. If frozen, thaw overnight in the fridge. Reheat as needed in the microwave or stovetop until heated to your preference.
- Serving Size: 1/6th of recipe
- Calories: 295
- Sugar: 9 g
- Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 54 g
- Fiber: 10 g
- Protein: 18 g
Keywords: slow cooker lentil chili, red lentil chili
Originally published on November 27, 2018.