- 1 medium white or yellow onion, diced (approx. 2 cups or 300 g)
- 2 medium bell peppers, any colour, diced
- 1 large or 2 small carrots, peeled and chopped (approx. 1 cup or 150 g)
- 1 jalapeño, de-seeded and minced (leave some seeds in if you want spicy chili!)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoons each oregano and smoked paprika
- 1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes with the juices (or 2 x 14.5 oz. cans)
- 2 tablespoons (30 g) tomato paste
- 2 1/4 cups (500 mL) vegetable broth (water is ok but broth adds a more flavour)
- 2 cups (370 g) dry red lentils , thoroughly rinsed and drained
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Add all of the ingredients to a slow cooker and cook on high for 3 hours or low for 5-6 hours.
- Serve right away or store in the fridge for up to 5 days or freezer up to 3 months.
You can make this recipe stovetop as well. Simply add everything to a pot and simmer lightly for 25-30 minutes until the lentils are tender and it’s nice and thick.
Keywords: slow cooker lentil chili, red lentil chili