This vegan red lentil chili is so easy to make in a slow cooker. You’ll need less than 10 minutes of prep before throwing everything in the crock pot and forgetting about it until dinner time. So easy! It’s also high in protein and fibre, low in fat, vegan and gluten-free.
- 1 medium white or yellow onion, diced (approx. 2 cups or 300 g)
- 2 medium bell peppers, any colour, diced
- 1 large or 2 small carrots, peeled and chopped (approx. 1 cup or 150 g)
- 1 jalapeño, de-seeded and minced (leave some seeds in if you want spicy chili!)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoons each oregano and smoked paprika
- 1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes with the juices (or 2 x 14.5 oz. cans)
- 2 tablespoons (30 g) tomato paste
- 2 1/4 cups (500 mL) vegetable broth (water is ok but broth adds a more flavour)
- 2 cups (370 g) dry red lentils , thoroughly rinsed and drained
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Add all of the ingredients to a slow cooker and cook on high for 3 hours or low for 5-6 hours.
- Serve right away or store in the fridge for up to 5 days or freezer up to 3 months.
You can make this recipe stovetop as well. Simply add everything to a pot and simmer lightly for 25-30 minutes until the lentils are tender and it’s nice and thick.
Keywords: healthy, easy, one pot