- 1 medium white or yellow onion, diced (approx. 2 cups or 300 g)
- 2 bell peppers, any colour, seeds removed and diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced (about 1 cup chopped, 150 g)
- 1 jalapeño, de-seeded and minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tsp regular or smoked paprika
- 1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes with the juices
- 2 tablespoons (30 g) tomato paste
- 3–4 cups (750 mL) vegetable broth
- 2 cups (370 g) dry red lentils
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Add all of the ingredients to a slow cooker and mix well.
- Cook on high for 3 hours or low for 5-6 hours.
- Serve right away with your favourite chili toppings such as avocado, vegan sour cream, dairy-free cheese, sliced scallions and salsa.
Start with 3 cups of broth. Check after 2 hours and see if you may need to add a little more. I’ve made it with as little as 2.5 cups and as much as 4. It just depends how thick you like it!
See post for stovetop instructions.
Customize: Mix in 1 or 2 cans of beans such as chickpeas, black beans, kidney beans or pinto beans for additional texture.
Let cool then store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days or freezer for up to 3 months. If frozen, thaw overnight in the fridge. Reheat as needed in the microwave or stovetop until heated to your preference.
- Serving Size: 1/6th of recipe
- Calories: 295
- Sugar: 9 g
- Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 54 g
- Fiber: 10 g
- Protein: 18 g
Keywords: slow cooker lentil chili, red lentil chili