Learn how to make coconut bacon for a sweet, salty, crunchy addition to salads, sandwiches, avocado toast, oatmeal and more. This recipe is vegan, gluten-free, oil-free and refined sugar-free.
Coconut Bacon Ingredients
Here’s what you’ll need to make coconut bacon:
- Coconut flakes. You’ll need 2 cups of plain, unsweetened coconut flakes, or sometimes called coconut chips.
- Soy sauce. Soy sauce adds the salty, umami flavour to the coconut bacon. For a gluten-free alternative, use tamari or coconut aminos.
- Maple syrup. Maple syrup adds a hint of sweetness that pairs well with the soy sauce and paprika.
- Apple cider vinegar. Apple cider vinegar adds a little bit of tanginess to the recipe. If you don’t have apple cider vinegar, you can use regular vinegar.
- Smoked paprika. Smoked paprika is optional but it helps add a bit of smokiness to the coconut bacon.
What about liquid smoke?
Liquid smoke just isn’t something I ever have on hand or have easy access to so I don’t use it in my recipe. I think the coconut bacon is just delicious without it.
That being said, most coconut bacon recipes do call for liquid smoke. If you have some on hand and would like to try it, add 1-2 tsp to the recipe.
How to Make Coconut Bacon
Homemade coconut bacon is a breeze to make in less than 20 minutes. Let’s go through the steps.
Before you start, preheat your oven to 325 degrees F. You don’t want it too hot because coconut bacon can burn quite easily.
Step 1. Mix the coconut with the marinade.
Add the flaked coconut to a medium or large mixing bowl and then add the rest of the ingredients. Gently mix it up until all the coconut flakes are coated.
Quick Tip: For extra flavour, let the coconut flakes marinate in the sauce for 5 minutes.
Step 2. Bake the Coconut.
The next step is to bake the coconut bacon. Here area a few tips for success:
- Spread the coconut in a single, even layer on a baking tray with minimal overlapping.
- Start with a 10-minute timer. After 10-minutes, flip the coconut bacon and shake the pan around a bit. Spread it out in an even layer again.
- Start watching it carefully. I check it every 2-3 minutes until it’s starting to turn golden brown, then I check it every minute or so.
- You’re looking for a dark golden brown colour. When it’s a beautiful golden brown, remove it from the oven and let it cool completely on the pan.
How long should I cook coconut bacon?
I let my coconut bacon cook for a full 20 minutes but my old oven took just 10 minutes, so it depends on your oven,. Coconut bacon will go from golden brown to burnt very quickly so make sure you keep a close eye on it after 10 minutes.
How long does coconut bacon keep?
Coconut bacon can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature or in the fridge for a few weeks. It can actually be kept longer, it just might lose its crispiness. You can also store in the freezer to help it stay crispy.
Quick Tip: Make sure you let the coconut bacon cool completely before storing. As it cools, it will harden and crisp.
Coconut Bacon Recipe
This sweet and salty, crunchy coconut bacon can be enjoyed anywhere you would bacon bits. This recipe is vegan, gluten-free if you use tamari instead of soy sauce, oil-free and refined sugar-free. It’s also super easy to make in 10-20 minutes, depending on your oven.
Recipes to Use Coconut Bacon In
Looking for ways to use coconut bacon? It’s delicious in:
- Vegan Kale Caesar Salad
- Sweet Potato Breakfast Bowls
- Brussel Sprouts with Coconut Bacon
- Broccoli Brown Rice Bowl
- Mashed Potatoes
- Avocado Toast
Sweet and salty coconut bacon makes an amazing addition to salads, sandwiches and more. Try it sprinkled it on toast and oatmeal!
- Pre-heat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Add the coconut flakes to a medium or large mixing bowl.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients together in a small dish then pour over the coconut flakes.
- Fold together until all the coconut flakes are coated.
- Spread the coconut flakes on a baking sheet in an even layer. They can be made directly on the pan or you can use parchment paper for easy clean up.
- Bake for 10 minutes then stir and flip. Spread back into an even layer. Continue baking in 3-5 minute increments until dark golden brown. Watch carefully once it starts turning brown as it will burn very quickly.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely on the pan.
- Store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks or freeze for up to 3 months.
Keywords: oil-free, no liquid smoke, healthy, best, plant-based