Curried Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
I can’t stop making delicious soups, and why should I? They’re easy, fast, inexpensive, delicious and something about creamy soups just seems so gourmet, doesn’t it? Plus I’m so in love with Fall-inspired recipes right now, and what’s says Fall more than a Curried Roasted Butternut Squash Soup? This soup is vegan, gluten-free, oil-free and easy to make.
Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
Let me tell you a little bit about this soup: squash, red curry, coconut, lime, carrots, creamy, dreamy, healthy, lick-your-bowl delicious. I think that describes it pretty well! It’s easy to make, packed with nutrition and full of rich flavours. Plus it’s vegan, oil-free, nut-free and gluten-free so I hope you can all enjoy it!
This recipe makes 4 large entree-sized servings or 6 smaller starter-sized servings. If you enjoy 4 servings of approximately 450 grams each, each serving is 193 calories with 37 grams of carbohydrates, 4 grams of fat and 5 grams of protein. You’ll also be getting 10 grams of dietary fibre with 10% of your daily calcium and iron, more than your daily vitamin A in the form of beta-carotene and about half your daily vitamin C. This recipe is also rich in potassium, folate, vitamin E and manganese.
If you serve it in 6 servings of 300 grams each, each serving will be 126 calories with 25 grams of carbohydrates, 2 grams of fat and 3 grams of protein.
More Healthy Soups
Loving this soup? For some more yummy, easy and healthy soups, try my:
- Creamy Cauliflower Wild Rice Soup
- Spicy Vegan Black Bean Soup
- Vegan Cashew Carrot Soup
- Vegan Chickpea Vegetable Chowder
- Butternut Squash Lentil Soup
- 1 white onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 3 tbsp red curry paste (I use Thai Kitchen)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 4 cups roasted butternut squash (approx. 1 large or 2 small)
- 2 1/2 cups carrots, chopped (approx. 4 medium carrots)
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup light or full-fat coconut milk
- 1 tbsp brown or coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Cut your squash in half, spoon out the seeds and place face down on a cookie sheet.
- Roast until easily pierced with a fork. This should take about 30 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a soup pot, saute the onion and garlic in a splash of water or broth for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the ginger, spices and red curry paste. Cook for a few more minutes, adding more water or broth as needed so it doesn’t stick.
- Add the chopped carrot.
- Peel the butternut squash, chop and add to the soup or scoop it out of the peel with a spoon and right into the soup.
- Add the coconut milk and vegetable broth.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes or until carrots are soft.
- Add to a blender and puree until smooth and creamy.
- Pour back into the pot and stir in the lime and sugar. Season with salt and pepper, if needed.
- Serve with fresh lime and cilantro or store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 193
- Fat: 4 g
- Carbohydrates: 37 g
- Fiber: 10 g
- Protein: 5 g