Vegan Cashew Carrot Soup
This vegan cashew carrot soup is the perfect marriage of cashews, carrot, coconut and ginger. It’s smooth and creamy, rich and decadent, but made with healthy, simple, whole food ingredients. This soup is ready in under 30 minutes for an easy meal that works for busy weeknights but is just as suited to delicious weekend meals. It can be made in advance and tastes even better a day or two later once the flavours have a chance to really meld together.
Soups all Winter
When we’re in the dead of winter I love making as many different soups I can think of. Over the last few weeks I’ve shared Red Lentil Tomato Soup, Sweet Potato Peanut Stew, Cauliflower Sweet Potato Turmeric Soup and I don’t really see the soup train slowing down anytime soon.
Best things about making soup?
perfect way to clean out the fridge
easy to make in one pot, less dishes. YA.
healthy and satisfying but typically low calorie
never-ending variations to be made
you can dip bread in it…probably the most important reason, no?
Best thing about this cashew carrot soup?
CASHEW + CARROT + GINGER + COCONUT.
Vegan Cashew Carrot Soup
Alright, about this soup. It’s a good one. It’s easy to make. I sure hope you like it.
- Make sure you use raw cashews. Since they’ll be cooking for quite a while there’s not need to soak them in advance however if you don’t have a high-powered blender, soaking them first may result in a smoother finished product.
- Thinly slice the carrots for a quicker cooking time. I would recommend slicing the carrots into 1/4 inch rounds, if they’re too thick, they’ll take quite a while to soften. Slice them nice and thin and your soup should be ready in 20 minutes.
- Use light or full-fat coconut milk. I liked light coconut milk in this recipe for the right creaminess and hint of coconut flavour. For an even creamier soup with more coconut flavour, use full-fat coconut milk. If you don’t like coconut, you can leave the coconut milk out and a bit more broth or some unsweetened almond milk or cashew milk.
- Blend until smooth. I’ve made this in both a Ninja and a Vitamix and the Vitamix won by a landslide for an ultra smooth and creamy soup. The Ninja was still good, it just wasn’t able to get the cashews blended in like the Vitamix did. If you don’t have a Vitamix, Blendtec or other high-powered blender, let it blend or a while or process it in batches to achieve the best smoothness you can. It will taste good either way though, so don’t worry too much!
- 1 medium white onion, diced (300 g)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large chunk, fresh ginger, minced (25 g, approx. 2 tbsp)
- 3/4 cup raw cashews (100 g)
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 4 cups peeled and chopped carrots (approx. 650 g)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup light coconut milk (shake well if you’re using a fresh can)
- 1 tsp maple syrup (optional)
- pinch of sea salt
- squeeze of fresh lemon or lime juice
- In a soup pot over medium heat, saute the onion, garlic, ginger and cashews in 1/4 cup of the vegetable broth until starting to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the spices and cook or another minute or two.
- Add the carrots and the rest of the vegetable broth and simmer lightly until the carrots are easily pierced with a fork.
- Stir in the coconut milk and if using, the maple syrup.
- Blend the soup until smooth, letting it run until very creamy then return to the pot and season with sea salt and a quick squeeze of fresh lemon or lime juice.
Keywords: soup with cashews, carrot soup, healthy, easy, vegetarian, plant-based
- Serving Size: 300 g
- Calories: 214
- Fat: 11 g
- Carbohydrates: 26 g
- Protein: 5 g