The Best Vegan Tortilla Soup
This vegan tortilla soup might just be the best you ever make! This recipe is healthy, gluten-free and easy to make with simple ingredients.
Originally Posted: October 18, 2015 | Updated: March 29, 2019
How to Make Vegan Tortilla Soup
Let’s go through this 20 minute process, shall we? First up, chop the onion, garlic and jalapeno and saute them in the olive oil until they’re smelling all delicious.
After they’ve softened, add the tortilla – yes, a WHOLE tortilla, a small one, like for tacos, chop it up and throw it in – the spices, broth and diced tomatoes. I like these fire-roasted diced tomatoes best! You can use any vegetable stock or broth but I like this bouillon from Better than Bouillon.
Cook that up for 10 minute or so, a light simmer is perfect. It should be smelling pretty amazing by now! After that has simmered a bit, add the cilantro and black beans and you’re almost there! After you stir those in, you can either transfer about 2/3 of the soup to a blender and pulse a few times to smooth it out. Don’t completely pulverize though, a little chunkiness is good! Alternatively, you can just stick an immersion blender right in the pot to smooth it out.
Best Tortilla Soup Toppings
As much as I love tortilla soup, I think the toppings might actually be my favourite part. Avocado, cilantro, lime, crispy tortilla, what’s not to love? If you really want to go for it, you could even add some vegan cheese and sour cream. Homemade or store-bought would both be delicious additions!
How to Crispy Tortilla Strips
To make these amazing crispy, salted tortilla strips, I used my favourite white corn tortillas from La Tortilla Factory. These guys make a mean, authentic tortilla and they’re my go-to for tacos, burritos and other Mexican-inspired dishes.
They’re soft, thick and chewy and when fried in a pan, they puff up and come to a perfect crisp, absolutely perfect for adding to this soup! I also added 1 tortilla right into the soup and I think that really helped bring it all together!
Quick and Easy Tortilla Soup
The best part of this soup? You only need a few simple ingredients and it can be ready in about 20 minutes. It’s super easy to make yet the the flavour of this simple, vegan soup absolutely delivers.Print
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes (fire-roasted is even better!)
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 6-8” inch corn tortilla
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 19 oz can black beans, well rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- juice from 1 lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- Saute the onion, garlic and jalapeño in the olive oil for 5 minutes, stirring until soft and fragrant.
- Add the diced tomato, vegetable stock, tortilla, chili powder and garlic powder. Stir well and simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the black beans, cilantro and lime and simmer a few more minutes.
- Using an immersion blender or by placing most of the soup in a blender, blend just enough to ensure the tortilla has been blended completely into the soup. You want to leave it a little chunky.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve topped with avocado, cilantro, fresh lime and crispy tortilla strips.
To make crispy tortilla strips, cut 1/2-1 corn tortilla per person into approximately 1/4-1/2 inch strips. Fry the strips in a large pan with 1-2 tsp of olive oil over medium-high heat until browned and crispy. Flip and stir frequently to ensure they don’t burn. It took me about 10-12 minutes to get them nice and crispy. I also added a little salt and pepper to the pan for seasoning. Keep a close eye on them to prevent burning.
Keywords: healthy tortilla soup, plant-based tortilla soup, simple, easy