How much do I love Mexican food? Hmmmm, can I quantify such a huge amount of love? I don’t think so. I love Mexican food, a lot, I’ll just leave it at that. Avocados, limes, beans, cilantro, what’s not to love?? I remember when I was travelling in Central America, one of my favourite street foods was tostadas, of all shapes and sizes. Today I’m sharing a recipe for vegan lentil tostadas inspired by my time in those beautiful countries.
Easy Tomatillo Sauce
These are super simple to make. All you need are beans, lentils, tortillas and veggies and you’re all set. This tomatillo sauce is always a good one to have on hand for dipping, as a spread or adding to dishes for a burst of fresh flavour. I don’t typically measure this sauce but I did today, just for you! Feel free to adjust as needed, you can’t really go wrong, it always seems to come out delicious!
Make Your Own Spice
As far as the spice for the lentils, you could use a fajita seasoning mix, but I like to just make my own. I find the store-bought mixes are ridiculously high in sodium and you can easily make your own with common spices. I use a simple combination of chili powder, garlic, paprika, red pepper flakes, cumin, salt and pepper. It has a little kick to it so adjust the amount of red pepper flakes if you need to.
Crisp the Tortillas First
Make sure you crisp up the tortillas before you add the toppings or they’ll end up soggy. Just stick them in the oven until they’re crispy and brown and that way they’ll hold their shape when you add the beans and lentils. As for the toppings, feel free to mix it up and add whatever you have on hand. I’ve also used zuchinni, spinach, red onion in the mix.
- 4 tomatillas, peeled, roughly chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 tbsp packed, fresh cilantro
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 small white onion
- 1/2 a jalapeno, seeded
For the Lentils
- 2 19 oz cans lentils, drained and well rinsed
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
For the Tostadas
- 1 can refried beans
- red pepper, diced
- green onion, chopped
- 1/2 a large carrot, grated
- 4 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- avocado, 1/4/person
- nutritional yeast (optional)
- Place as many tortillas as you need in the oven straight on the rack and bake until brown and crispy. Keep a close eye on them so as not to burn them. Once they’re crisp, remove from the oven and place on a cookie sheet to await their toppings.
- Add the 2 cans of rinsed and drained lentils to a pan with all the spices listed and continue to cook and mash until it’s all mixed it and thoroughly heated. I cooked mine for about 15-20 minutes on medium to high heat.
- Chop up all the toppings.
- When everything is ready, spread some re-fried beans over the crispy tortilas.
- Add a scoop of lentils to each tortilla.
- Top with the carrots, peppers, cilantro and green onion.
- Sprinkle with nutritional yeast. Optional, but I like it for a little cheesy taste.
- Place in the oven and bake at 350 degrees for 5-10 minutes then broil for 5-10 minutes. Just keep an eye on them, they should be nice and crispy and fully heated.
- Remove from the oven when finished and top with avocado, lime and tomatilla sauce.