Vegan Black Bean Burritos
This vegan black bean burritos with tomato rice are healthy, filling and delicious. Perfect for a Mexican-themed burrito or taco bar with your favorite burrito fillings!
Love Mexican-inspired flavours? You’ll love these delicious black bean burritos! Packed with chili lime black beans and red tomato rice, they’re full of flavor. Make them even better by adding your favorite fillings like avocado, salsa, and vegan cheese and sour cream.
- Oil – I used olive oil to saute the onions and garlic for the rice. Substitute it with water or vegetable broth for an oil-free recipe.
- Rice – You can use any kind of white or brown rice in this recipe. Cook according to package instructions.
- Black beans – You can use drained and well-rinsed canned black beans or homemade black beans.
Step by Step Instructions
Step 1. Saute the onions and garlic in a saucepan for 5-6 minutes until soft and fragrant.
Step 2. Add the broth, tomato and rice, cover and lightly simmer for 10-15 minutes until all the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender.
Step 3. Add all of the ingredients for the chili lime black beans to a skillet or saucepan and cook over medium heat until heated through. I like to mash the beans up a bit with the back of a wooden spoon.
Finally, add your fillings, roll it all up and enjoy!
- avocado or guacamole
- vegan cheese
- vegan sour cream
- avocado cilantro sauce
- chimichurri sauce
- cashew chipotle sauce or queso sauce
- shredded carrot
- vegan spicy mayo
- shredded lettuce or cabbage
- sesame slaw
- cabbage slaw
- cilantro cashew crema
- tofu crema
Quick Tip: Make a quick sour cream by adding a spritz of lemon juice to plain coconut yogurt.
- These Instant Pot refried black beans make a yummy swap for the chili lime black beans.
- Don’t feel like a burrito? Toss everything on a bed of romaine lettuce to make a burrito bowl.
- For a quick and easy burrito, use plain white or brown rice, plain black beans, and your favourite fillings.
Love a good burrito? You might like these too:
- Vegan Sweet Potato Breakfast Burritos
- Healthy Vegan Breakfast Burritos
- Vegan Buffalo Cauliflower Wraps
- Easy Black Beans and Rice
- Vegan Lentil Tacos
- Chipotle Sofritas Recipe
Did you try this recipe? I’d love to hear about it! Scroll down to the comment section to leave a star rating and review.
These packed vegan black bean burritos feature all the good stuff: rice, beans and veggies! Load them up and dig in for a hearty and delicious plant-based meal.
For the Red Rice
- 1 tbsp olive oil (use broth or water for oil-free)
- 1 medium white onion, diced (reserve 1/4 cup for the beans)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup diced fresh tomato, fresh or canned
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup dry white rice
For the Chili Lime Black Beans
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 cans black beans, well-rinsed, drained (about 3 cups)
For the Burritos
- large wheat or corn tortillas
- grated carrot (about 1/4 cup per burrito)
- avocado or guacamole (about 1/4 cup per burrito)
- finely chopped cilantro (about 1/4 cup per burrito)
- optional: shredded vegan cheese, salsa, vegan sour cream
- Cook the onion and garlic in 1 tbsp of olive oil for 6-7 minutes in a medium-sized sauce pan over medium-hight heat until translucent and fragrant.
- Add the rice, broth, water and tomato and cook, covered until rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed. About 10-15 minutes.
- Add the extra onion and garlic to a skillet with the black beans, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper. Using a potato masher, mash up some of the beans in the pan and cook for about 5-8 minutes until heated through.
- Once the rice and beans are done, add to a large tortilla with your favourite burrito fillings like cilantro, carrot, guacamole, vegan sour cream and salsa, roll up and enjoy!
Keywords: vegan burritos, black bean burritos
Update Note: Originally published on January 17, 2015. Updated in March 2020 with new photos and text.