Vegan Black Bean Burritos
This vegan black bean burritos with tomato rice are healthy, filling and delicious. Perfect for a Mexican-themed burrito or taco bar with your favorite burrito fillings!
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
Here are a few things to consider when choosing ingredients and making changes to the recipe.
- I used olive oil to saute the onions and garlic for the rice. Substitute it with water or vegetable broth for an oil-free recipe.
- You can use any kind of white or brown rice in this recipe. Cook according to package instructions.
- You can use drained and well-rinsed canned black beans or homemade black beans.
- These Instant Pot refried black beans make a yummy swap for the chili lime black beans.
- Don’t feel like a burrito? Toss everything on a bed of romaine lettuce to make a burrito bowl.
- To simplify this recipe and make a quick and easy burrito, use plain white or brown rice, plain black beans, and your favorite fillings.
Recipe Method and Tips
There are a few steps to making these but overall they’re pretty easy. To speed things up, prep the rice and beans in advance.
Start with the red rice. It’s made by sauteeing onions and garlic and then cooking the rice with tomato and vegetable broth.
Next, make the chili lime black beans. For this step, you’re basically just adding everything to a saucepan or skillet and heating through.
Now the fun part! Time to build your burritos! Choose from any of these burrito fillings:
- avocado or guacamole
- vegan cheese
- vegan sour cream
- avocado cilantro sauce
- chimichurri sauce
- cashew chipotle sauce or queso sauce
- shredded carrot
- shredded lettuce or cabbage
My favorites are avocado, carrot, salsa, and cilantro.
Quick Tip: Make a quick sour cream by adding a spritz of lemon juice to plain coconut yogurt.
Love Mexican food? You’ll love these delicious black bean burritos! Packed with chili lime black beans and red tomato rice, they’re full of flavor. Make them even better by adding your favorite burrito fillings like avocado, salsa, and vegan cheese and sour cream.
More Burrito Recipes
Love a good burrito? You might like these too:
- Vegan Sweet Potato Breakfast Burritos
- Healthy Vegan Breakfast Burritos
- Healthy Vegan Veggie Burritos
- Vegan Buffalo Cauliflower Wraps
For the Red Rice
- 1 tbsp olive oil (use broth or water for oil-free)
- 1 medium white onion, diced (reserve 1/4 cup for the beans)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup diced fresh tomato, fresh or canned
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup dry white rice
For the Chili Lime Black Beans
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 cans black beans, well-rinsed, drained (about 3 cups)
For the Burritos
- large wheat or corn tortillas
- grated carrot (about 1/4 cup per burrito)
- avocado or guacamole (about 1/4 cup per burrito)
- finely chopped cilantro (about 1/4 cup per burrito)
- optional: shredded vegan cheese, salsa, vegan sour cream
- Cook the onion and garlic in 1 tbsp of olive oil for 6-7 minutes in a medium-sized sauce pan over medium-hight heat until translucent and fragrant.
- Add the rice, broth, water and tomato and cook, covered until rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed. About 10-15 minutes.
- Add the extra onion and garlic to a skillet with the black beans, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper. Using a potato masher, mash up some of the beans in the pan and cook for about 5-8 minutes until heated through.
- Once the rice and beans are done, add to a large tortilla with your favourite burrito fillings like cilantro, carrot, guacamole, vegan sour cream and salsa, roll up and enjoy!
Keywords: homemade, easy, best, healthy
UPDATE NOTE: This recipe was originally published on January 17, 2015. It was updated in March 2020 with new photos and text.