Vegan Breakfast Burrito Bowl with Chipotle Sauce
Who doesn’t love a good breakfast burrito? For this take on the classic breakfast option, I decided to skip the wrap and load all the best breakfast burrito ingredients into a healthy and delicious, vegan breakfast burrito bowl. This bowl features tofu scramble, black beans, roasted potatoes, avocado, pico de gallo and a tangy and spicy chipotle sauce. You can make this burrito bowl the morning off or prep the ingredients ahead of time for a quick and easy but majorly tasty week day breakfast option.
Easy Roasted Potatoes
I debated what to do for the potato portion of this burrito bowl. Shredded potato hash browns, roasted sweet potatoes, pan-fried potatoes…but in the end I settled on easy, oil-free roasted potatoes. I wanted to keep this recipe really easy and these roasted potatoes are the easiest there is. Plus but roasting them in the oven it frees up the stove top for the tofu and black beans.
To make oil-free roasted potatoes, simply cube a potato, place on a baking sheet, sprinkle with spices and roast at 400 degrees until browned and tender. This usually takes around 40 minutes for a russet potato. You can use sweet potato if you prefer, both are delicious in this bowl.
Cashew Chipotle Sauce
As far as I’m concerned the best part of any bowl is the sauce. A good sauce always take the rest of the ingredients to the next level. For this breakfast bowl, I decided on an easy chipotle sauce made with cashews and chipotle peppers in adobo. You should be able to find a tin of chipotle peppers in adobo at most grocery stores.
It’s usually located with other Mexican foods like tacos, salsa and refried beans. You’ll blend up the cashews with the chipotle peppers, garlic, lime cumin and a tiny bit of sweetener. The result is addictive, creamy, can be used on this bowl and just about anything else. I’m hooked on the stuff.
Tofu or Chickpea Scramble
In the recipe below I share a tofu scramble but if you want to with things up you could also make this bowl with chickpea scramble. They’re very similar except that one is made with tofu and one is made with chickpeas. Both are delicious.
I use nutritional yeast in my scrambles but if you don’t have any it’s not totally necessary, although I’d definitely recommend it. In addition to the nutritional yeast, I use turmeric and garlic powder in this simple scramble. You could also add a pinch of red pepper flakes if you like a little spice.
Alright, to make this delicious, healthy and filling breakfast bowl, you’ll need tofu scramble, avocado, roasted potatoes, black beans, kale, chipotle sauce and pico de gallo.
- Swap the potatoes for sweet potatoes
- Swap the potatoes for roasted butternut squash
- Skip the chipotle sauce and try avocado sauce
- Try chickpea scramble instead of tofu scramble
- Try pinto beans instead of black beans
- Try it with vegan pesto instead of chipotle sauce
- Try it with chimichurri sauce instead of chipotle sauce
- Take the avocado to the next level and make guacamole
- Wrap it all up in a tortilla (see my healthy breakfast burrito for inspiration)
- Try it with red rice instead of potatoes
- Try it with avocado corn salsa instead of pico de gallo
- Add crumbled tempeh or sofritas
- Add pickled onion
Make It Your Own
I hope that gives you some ideas for how to make this bowl your own. You can follow my recipe exactly and it will be delicious but like many of my “recipes”, it’s more of a guideline to create your own version of this dish.
This vegan breakfast burrito bowl features all the best breakfast burrito ingredients all loaded into a healthy and delicious bowl. This bowl is gluten-free, high in protein and fibre, can be made ahead of time and features a creamy, spicy chipotle sauce to top it all off.
For the Roasted Potatoes
- 1 russet potato (or more if needed)
- sprinkle of salt and pepper
For the Cashew Chipotle Sauce
- 2/3 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo plus 2 tsp of the adobo sauce
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp cumin
- 10 drops liquid stevia, 2 small pitted dates (10 g), a few dashes of liquid stevia or splash of agave syrup
For the Tofu Scramble
- 1 package firm or extra-firm tofu, crumbled (pressed if desired)
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup water, plus more as needed
For the Pico de Gallo
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 1 small diced white onion
- handful of chopped cilantro, about 1 cup lightly packed
- 1– 2 tbsp fresh lime juice, to taste
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, or more to taste
For the Burrito Bowl
- lightly steamed or massaged finely chopped kale
- diced avocado
- black beans
To Make the Roasted Potatoes
- Place the cubed potatoes on a parchment paper or silicone mat-lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss to coat.
- Roast at 400 degrees until tender, browned and puffy. Approximately 30 minutes.
To Make the Cashew Chipotle Sauce
- Add all ingredients to a blender or food processor and mix until smooth and creamy. Add more water if needed to adjust consistency.
- Makes enough for 4-5 bowls. Store any extra in the fridge.
To Make the Tofu Scramble
- Add all ingredients to a pan and cook over medium-high heat until the water is gone and it’s heated through. Add more water if needed as it’s cooking.
To Make the Pico de Gallo
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl.
- Store any leftovers in the fridge.
For the Burrito Bowl
- Build the bowl by adding a few scoops of scramble, black beans and roasted potatoes to a bowl.
- Top with avocado, chipotle sauce and pico de gallo.
Keywords: savory, healthy, breakfast bowl, low-sugar, mexican, plant-based