Avocado Corn Salad
This vegan avocado corn salad features chickpeas, roasted corn, avocado, tofu feta, cucumber, greens, red onion and a maple lime almond dressing for a wonderfully delicious and flavourful meal.
- Dietary Features: Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free and can be nut-free.
- Packed with yummy flavours and textures from roasted corn, chickpeas, avocado and cucumber.
- Delicious almond lime maple dressing that can be used on any salad.
- Perfect Summer meal! Try grilling corn on the cob then slicing off the kernels to use in the salad.
- Easy to customize to your preference or whatever you have on hand.
Complete list of ingredients with amounts and full instructions is located in the recipe card below. This section covers ingredient and substitution considerations.
- Almond Butter: Used for the dressing. Use plain almond butter with no added sugar. For a nut-free recipe, this can be substituted with tahini or sunflower seed butter.
- Tofu: Used to make tofu feta, which is an optional addition to the salad. You can leave it off or use regular feta if that works for you.
- Avocado: Adds cool creaminess to the salad. It’s ok to leave off if you don’t have ripe avocado on hand.
- Chickpeas: Canned chickpeas work great or you can cook your own from scratch. If using canned, give them a good rinse before use.
- Corn: Use canned, fresh or frozen. Option to roast it in the oven for a bit of extra flavour and texture!
- Greens: Any greens work. You can use mixed greens, arugula, romaine or spinach.
How to Make this Salad
- If you’re making the tofu feta, do that first so it can marinade 30 minutes up to overnight (see notes below on how to make it).
- When you’re ready, whisk together the dressing ingredients until smooth and creamy.
- If you’re making the roasted corn, add the ingredients to a baking tray and “toast” in the oven until slightly brown.
Finally, assemble the salad ingredients on a base of greens, top with dressing and feta and enjoy!
How to Make Tofu Feta
Tofu feta is easy to make and can be made cubed or crumbled. This salad features crumbled tofu feta though you could definitely do cubes if you prefer. Here’s how to make it:
- Press the tofu. Learn how to press tofu here or simply wrap a block of tofu in a dish towel and place a heavy object on top of it. Let it sit like that for 20-30 minutes.
- Crumble the tofu. Crumble the tofu into a mixing bowl or any container.
- Add the marinade ingredients. This includes nutritional yeast, lemon, vinegar, salt and oregano. Mix it up and let it sit for a few hours up to ovenright.
- Enjoy! Use the tofu feta in salads, on pasta or anywhere else you’d use feta cheese.
- For a nut-free recipe, use sunflower seed butter instead of almond butter.
- Roasting the corn is optional. If you’re not roasting the corn, any fresh, canned or thawed frozen corn works.
- There will be some extra tofu feta. You can use it on other salads or anywhere else you’d use feta cheese.
- This salad is best enjoyed fresh. You can store leftovers for a couple days in the fridge but the greens will get soggy.
- The dressing can be made in advance and stored up to 5 days in the fridge. If it’s too thick after storing, you can adjust the consistency by stirring in a bit of water.
- The tofu feta can be stored up to 5 days in the fridge in sealed container.
Did you try this recipe? I’d love to hear about it! Click here to leave a review.Print
For the Lime Almond Dressing
- 3 tbsp almond butter (45 g)
- 3 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
For the Tofu Feta
- 1 350 g package extra-firm or firm tofu, pressed and crumbled
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast, optional
For the Salad
- 1 avocado (1/4 cup per serving)
- 1 cup minced red onion (1/4 cup per serving)
- 1 cucumber, diced (about 1/4 cucumber per serving)
- 2 cups canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed (1/2 cup per serving)
- 2 cups corn (1/2 cup per serving)
- 1/4 tsp chili powder, optional for roasting corn
- 1/4 tsp paprika, optional for roasting corn
- salt and pepper, optional for roasting corn
- 4 heaping cups mixed field greens, spinach or arugula (1–2 handfuls per serving)
- To make the dressing, whisk all the ingredients together until smooth and creamy.
- To make the tofu feta, crumble the tofu in a shallow container, add the rest of the ingredients, shake well to combine then let sit for a few hours up to overnight. Shake a few times while marinating.
- To make the roasted corn (optional), turn your oven on to broil (500 F) then place the corn on a baking tray and toss with the paprika, chili powder and a pinch of salt and pepper. Place the tray in the and broil for 5-8 minutes until starting to brown. Take care not to burn as it can happen quickly. If not roasting the corn, use drained and rinsed canned corn, fresh or thawed frozen corn.
- To assemble the salads, start with 1-2 handfuls of greens for each serving. Top each salad with equal amounts of the chopped cucumber, chickpeas, roasted corn, red onion and avocado. Sprinkle each salad with about 1/4 cup of the tofu feta and equal amounts of the dressing.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 478
- Fat: 22 g
- Carbohydrates: 53 g
- Fiber: 14 g
- Protein: 21 g
Keywords: avocado corn salad
Originally published April 9, 2018.