Vegan Breakfast Tacos
These vegan breakfast tacos feature tofu scramble, refried beans, avocado and salsa for a healthy, filling plant-based breakfast that’s quick and easy to make.
Breakfast Taco Ingredients
- Corn tortillas. You can use any corn or wheat tortilla you enjoy. I like 100% corn tortillas best for tacos.
- Medium tofu. We’ll be scrambling up firm tofu with turmeric, salt, pepper and garlic powder. This takes just minutes!
- Beans. I used refried black beans but you can also use plain black beans, pinto beans or my lentil taco mixture. If you’re using store-bought beans, just double to check to make sure they’re vegan.
- Avocado. I think all savoury breakfasts need avocado, don’t you? Avocado adds some wonderful, satiating healthy fats to the recipe and the cool, creamy texture is perfect with the beans and tofu scramble.
- Salsa. There are plenty of delicious store-bought salsas available so choose your favourite or make my easy pico de gallo or corn salsa.
That’s it! Optional toppings include diced red onion, cilantro and a sauce like my chimmichurri sauce, chipotle sauce or avocado cilantro sauce.
Tofu Scramble Tips
Tofu scramble is so easy to make. You only need a few ingredients and a few minutes. I usually use firm tofu for scrambles but medium and extra-firm work just fine as well.
To make it, just crumble tofu into a pan, add spices and a splash of water, heat and enjoy. The best spices and flavourings to use are:
- cumin, chili powder and/or paprika
- turmeric for colour
- black pepper
- kala namak (black salt) if you can find it, it has an eggy taste to it…if not, regular sea salt is fine
- garlic powder
- a dash of soy sauce
- nutritional yeast
I usually keep it simple and just use turmeric, salt and pepper and garlic powder. Sometimes I’ll add nutritional yeast for some extra flavour.
These vegan breakfast tacos are quick, easy, fun and healthy. You can customize by:
- using black beans or pinto beans instead of refried beans
- using chickpea scramble instead of tofu scramble
- add cilantro, red onion, green onion, grated carrot or diced bell peppers
- further flavouring the tofu scramble with nutritional yeast and extra spices like paprika
- using this Black Bean Corn Salad as a topping
- adding tofu sour cream or chipotle mayo
- adding queso or slaw
You’ll need to just minutes to whip these up. Simply heat the tofu scramble, load everything into tortillas and dig in!
Here are some more recipes like this one:
- Vegan Lentil Tacos
- Sweet Potato Breakfast Burritos
- Savory Vegan Breakfast Bowl
- Vegan Lentil Tostadas
- Vegan Breakfast Casserole
- Tempeh Tacos
Vegan Breakfast Tacos
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 8 tacos
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan, Mexican
Quick and easy breakfast tacos that are easy, healthy and delicious! Enjoy these for a fun, filling, plant-based breakfast.
- 1 package firm tofu
- 1 tsp each turmeric and garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp each sea salt and black pepper
- 2 tbsp water
For the Tacos
- refried beans, black beans or pinto beans
- optional: fresh cilantro, red onion
- Crumble the tofu into a skillet and add the spices and water. Cook for 5 minutes until heated through.
- Serve in a corn tortilla with refried beans, salsa and avocado. Top with cilantro, red onion and fresh lime, if desired. The tofu scramble makes enough for 8 small tacos.
Keywords: breakfast tacos, tofu tacos, easy, fast, simple, healthy, high-protein
More Savory Vegan Breakfasts
Wowzer! Your suggestion to use kala namak (black salt) makes this scramble a game-changer for me. Sometimes I like to have breakfast for dinner. The scramble is going to be a regular in my routine. Thanks be for inspiring me.
So glad you enjoyed!
These are perfect. I make a big batch of tofu scramble then have quick tacos with canned black beans and salsa each morning. So easy and yummy! The scramble is great for burritos too.
Hi there! I had a fun time cruising around your website/blog. Your recipe for Vegan Breakfast Tacos caught my eye. And… I actually had all the ingredients on hand. This recipe was fun to make and was enjoyed by our overnight guests, as well as us! Thanks for sharing your recipe.
Awesome! So glad you enjoyed them. Thanks!